[comp.periphs.printers] Found a bug in all Laserjets

twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) (03/13/91)

We've been having funny problems with our Laserjets (from Laserjet IIs
to Laserjet III) all these years and I think we've finally found what
is wrong. We have a lab of computers and every once in awhile,
the Laserjet would stop printing graphics (regardless of program).
It would either come out with a blank sheet or a 21 ERROR.
We've tried rebooting (computer & printer) all sorts of things. So
what we've adapted to doing is label that printer as text printer
only until the graphics comes back. This has been happening on all
Laserjets so we know it's not a problem with one printer. So finally,
one guy saw a pattern. And after many tests, we found the problem.
If someone sets a landscape font on the Laserjets panel, or sets
orientation=L on Laserjet III, the graphics no work. And since Lotus
123 is used extensively here, printing of worksheet in landscape mode
is a common thing. Then when someone sets thing back to portrait on
the printer side, things work again. We've tested this on all our
Laserjets and the same thing happens (some have garbage printout
instead of blank sheet or 21 ERROR though). So I think we've found
a bug in the way Laserjet does things. I can't see why this won't
work. And I can't understand why it hasn't been detected/fixed by
Laserjet III. Can others please confirm this bug?

On Laserjet II, choose a landscape font on panel (something like I12
would do), then print graphics with your favorite graphics program
(not word processor which somehow works!)

On Laserjet III, choose orientation=L, then print graphics using your
favorite graphics program (again not word processor).

Then we can decide to flame HP or not. ;)

Thomas.

tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.201750.28016@unixg.ubc.ca>, twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) writes:
|> If someone sets a landscape font on the Laserjets panel, or sets
|> orientation=L on Laserjet III, the graphics no work. And since Lotus
|> 123 is used extensively here, printing of worksheet in landscape mode
|> is a common thing. Then when someone sets thing back to portrait on
|> the printer side, things work again. We've tested this on all our
|> Laserjets and the same thing happens (some have garbage printout
|> instead of blank sheet or 21 ERROR though). So I think we've found
|> a bug in the way Laserjet does things. I can't see why this won't
|> work. And I can't understand why it hasn't been detected/fixed by
|> Laserjet III. Can others please confirm this bug?

Why do you assume that this is a bug?  The manual says that graphics are
not supported while in Landscape mode.  How do you think it should behave?

The problem is that the LaserJet people put a lot of effort in allowing
users to set defaults to be whatever they want, instead of always
requiring drivers (and applications) to properly configure the printer.
So, it seems that all your graphics applications just ASSUME that the
printer is in portrait mode (instead of setting it), and just blindly
send graphics.  Is this the fault of the printer?

Why are you allowing users to alter the configuration of printers that hang
off a network?  The spooler should be controlling all the settings as
needed.  When a Lotus job is finished (or aborted), the spooler should
reset the printer.

|> Then we can decide to flame HP or not. ;)

Go ahead, but this looks too much like pilot error.

PS:  Although I do work for HP, I do not work for the division responsible
for LaserJets.

--
		Tony Parkhurst	( tony@sdd.HP.COM )

"free people need no drug laws" -- James A. Parker

In article <1991Mar12.154233@sdd.hp.com> tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) writes:

>Why do you assume that this is a bug?  The manual says that graphics are
>not supported while in Landscape mode.  How do you think it should behave?

Oops, it does say this in the manual? Well, a couple of years of grad
students passing through and a handful of staffs couldn't find this.
So much for our reading abilities... ;) I guess we were looking at the
wrong place.

>The problem is that the LaserJet people put a lot of effort in allowing
>users to set defaults to be whatever they want, instead of always
>requiring drivers (and applications) to properly configure the printer.
>So, it seems that all your graphics applications just ASSUME that the
>printer is in portrait mode (instead of setting it), and just blindly
>send graphics.  Is this the fault of the printer?
>
>Why are you allowing users to alter the configuration of printers that hang
>off a network?  The spooler should be controlling all the settings as
>needed.  When a Lotus job is finished (or aborted), the spooler should
>reset the printer.

Well, even though we have our computers on ethernet for TCP/IP access to
our Suns, we haven't found any decent printspooling software for TCP/IP
(yes, our PC-NFS is just sitting on the shelf collecting dust :) ). So
our Laserjets are not on any network. In fact, most of our Laserjets
are dedicated for one machine only and some dataswitches here and there.
(we're not your biggest customer but aside from a dot matrix here and
there and two Laserwriters for the Macs, all our printers are Laserjets
sw we have enough to go around without networking). Anyways, we have a
university environment with grad students doing resarch. They produce
data files that are many columns long. And being Engineers that we are,
we have been using Lotus 123 since version 1 for processing data. And we
also need to print things out. Hence, landscape. Now if you are familiar
with Lotus 123, you change the printer mode by a setup string. Now we
have been teaching our students each year about setup strings and have
photocopy sheets of what you need to do what. Some get it, and some
don't. And those setup strings are so nasty that if you type in a lower
case "t" instead of uppercase "t" for example, things don't work, knock
on the door, debugging time. And those setup strings being 10-20
characters long, these errors happens often and it's annoying having to
type these bloody things in (correctly) each time. So we also have print
outs of the fonts and it's a lot easier for students to understand that
they need to change to font I20 for landscape compress than to have to
type in ^jy^h76&*jn for one and &^8hY&hj*7hn for another font. (note:
the above setup strings are garbage, they're just examples) And in a lot
of cases, after the students comes back from the field have 20 files of
data from the pressurememter, for example, they would just set the font
to landscape and copy the files to prn for hardcopies. No programs
involved. And when we program using a text editor, and we want to print
out our source code (ok, my programs do exceed 80 cols and goes off the
screen frolm time to time. But I'm a C programmer, I want to do
everything in one line. :) ), I print things in landscape because of
my code and I often use the space on the right side of the page for
writing down notes/comments. And none of our text editors has printer
mode changing capabilities within their print facility. So I have to do
it from the panel. I used QEdit most of the time. Hhmm.. let's see,
those should be the main reasons with misc convenience reasons I don't
care to mention. But now that you say it is in the manual, the oversight
was on our part then. And nobody I've told knew about this either.
Oh well, we don't have to understand how a car works to know that we
don't make it do things that it couldn't do. Thanks for the info.

Thomas.

leo@hoss.unl.edu (Leo Chouinard) (03/13/91)

In <1991Mar13.033650.3496@unixg.ubc.ca> twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) writes:

>In article <1991Mar12.154233@sdd.hp.com> tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>>
>>Why do you assume that this is a bug?  The manual says that graphics are
>>not supported while in Landscape mode.  How do you think it should behave?

>Oops, it does say this in the manual? Well, a couple of years of grad
>students passing through and a handful of staffs couldn't find this.
>So much for our reading abilities... ;) I guess we were looking at the
>wrong place.

I have a LaserJet IIP.  I don't know about other LaserJets, but the
Technical Reference Manual for that printer clearly indicates that
graphics is supported in landscape mode.

                                            Leo Chouinard
                                            leo@hoss.unl.edu

tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (03/14/91)

|> >Oops, it does say this in the manual? Well, a couple of years of grad
|> >students passing through and a handful of staffs couldn't find this.
|> >So much for our reading abilities... ;) I guess we were looking at the
|> >wrong place.

|> I have a LaserJet IIP.  I don't know about other LaserJets, but the
|> Technical Reference Manual for that printer clearly indicates that
|> graphics is supported in landscape mode.

Oops^2, I blew this one.  It was a "compatible" printer that did not do this.
LaserJet does support graphics while in landscape mode, however, without
changing the CAP or setting the "presentation mode" (LJ III), then your
normal graphics will go off the page, and you will probably not see anything.

--
		Tony Parkhurst	( tony@sdd.HP.COM )

"free people need no drug laws" -- James A. Parker

twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) (03/15/91)

Thank you for all the emails I've received. I'll just address all the
questions/comments here in one post.

- Thanks for all the support and sympathy. I thought my question was
  legitimate as well (I still can't find discussion on this topic
  in the manual)(And it looks like I'm not the only one who can't find
  it). I guess I caught Tony on a bad day and I just happened to have
  asked the "right" question at the "right" time. ;)
  Thanks again everybody.

- Yes, I think this is a major problem in MS DOS world. Thanks for all
  those who did the tests themselves. The only program I could get
  graphics printouts while the printer is in Landscape mode is MS Word.
  (Ooops, I think WordPerfect worked as well). Even the other "major"
  MS DOS packages such as Freelance, Lotus 123, Grapher, paint programs,...
  all failed. I haven't tried Windows get because we just got the new
  version of CorelDraw so I'll test it on that when I'm done. But if
  Windows doesn't work, this maybe something someone should look into.

- The concensous I got, and I agree with, is regardless of who's bug
  this is (HP or MSDOS programs), this is a "bug". As a programmer,
  the longest time taken in writing a program is during the testing
  debugging stage. You must test all combinations of all commands and
  make sure things work before you release the program. But of course
  someone somewhere will always try a combination that you've never
  thought of and crashes the program. ;)

- Yes, I do agree that I shouldn't have to learn the PCL language to
  be able to use the Laserjet. The program is supposed to take care
  of all that. These things should be hidden from the enduser. And
  maybe that's why the Laserjet manual doesn't have this note boldface
  large lettering sticking out somewhere obvious. The only person that
  actually found something on this is found it in the PCL language
  section talking about how one would print in landscape in graphics mode
  by moving the cursor to the right....etc. I didn't care to learn
  PCL now. When I have time in the future, I'd be interested in
  learning the language, but don't have time now.

Thanks again for all the responses. I'll try Windows and see if it
resets the printer into portrait mode before printing. If not, maybe
I should address this question in msdos appl programming group.

Thomas.

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (03/15/91)

I think any program that prints to a printer without knowing or
forcing the printer into the correct mode is "sloppy", whether
you paid $0 or $500 for it. I have several programs that use graphics
in the landscape mode ( Harvard graphics, Windows stuff, TeX dvi drivers
etc), so I don't think it's a universal problem. Just because the
machine doesn't work the way one ideally imagines that it should,
doesn't mean that it's a bug. I think that on a 8088 chip,
MOV   DS,CS    should be a legal instruction. ( It's not.).

  On page 11-7 of Laser series II Printer Technical Reference Manual,
it says
   " On the LaserJet series II, raster graphics rows are printed along
the width of the physical page, regardless of the logical page orientation....
"
A picture is provided at the bottom of the page to make this clear.

The result is that one has to massage the graphics output to
make it come out in the correct orientation. Basically the same massaging
has to happen
when you download fonts for the landscape mode that are intended for
the portrait mode. There is no internal PCL operation on the HPLJII to
rotate.
   The reason for these annoyances I suspect is the layout of physical
mmeory. It's easy to implement quicky raster rows that go along
successive memory locations and harder (slower) to do raster columns
that don't use adjacent bytes.

Clarence Wilkerson

twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) (03/16/91)

In article <7947@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
>  On page 11-7 of Laser series II Printer Technical Reference Manual,
>it says
>   " On the LaserJet series II, raster graphics rows are printed along
>the width of the physical page, regardless of the logical page orientation....
>"
>A picture is provided at the bottom of the page to make this clear.

Yes, that was what I thought too. And that was one of the problems why
I was looking at the wrong place. After reading that "printed along
the width of the physical page", I figured that even if the orientation
was wrong, I would just get my image chopped off. That's why I said to
myself at the very beginning that this must not be the problem since
I was getting blanks sheets. That's why I ignored it and was looking
elsewhere. But now we know why. As others have pointed out,
in the PCL language, if you leave the cursor position at the origin
of the landscape mode, then proceed to output in the portrait
orientation, you'd be plotting off the page. Ain't computers fun? :)

Thomas.

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (03/16/91)

I don't get this message.  Then again, I also have an additional 4MB of RAM
in the printer as well :-)

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               | I just come from the land of
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       | the sun/ from a war that must

twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) (03/16/91)

I have tested MS Windows graphics printout after setting the LJ to
landscape and found that it works. So Window is smart enough to
set the LJ correctly. So all Windows applications should work.
That's one for Microsoft. :)

Thomas.

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar12.154233@sdd.hp.com>, tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) writes:

> Why do you assume that this is a bug?  The manual says that graphics are
> not supported while in Landscape mode.  How do you think it should behave?

  Yes it does, I've seen it in every manual from the original LaserJet
  on, but it's not an "intuitive" limitation so probably not noticed
  by many people (hey, the LaserJet IIPs we brought a while ago would
  take a solid 100 hours to print all of the docs that came with them, no? )

> Why are you allowing users to alter the configuration of printers that hang
> off a network?  The spooler should be controlling all the settings as
> needed.  When a Lotus job is finished (or aborted), the spooler should
> reset the printer.

  A lot of us DON'T hang our LaserJets off a network.  Some of us even
  resort to printer-sharing boxes/switches (gulp.  how primitive.  But
  we DO have a network. really.).  So the "rule" I promulgated in my
  shop was Draconian but simple:  "Thou shalt make no assumptions about
  settings before thee".

  This generally works, except that 123 is so primitive.  I find it semi-
  incredible, actually, that Lotus hasn't been able to bring itself to
  spend a few bucks to put a decent printer interface in its cash cow..
  Unfortunately for my users, Berlitz doesn't teach LJspeak, which I find
  only a shade easier to learn than Russian.

> PS:  Although I do work for HP, I do not work for the division responsible
> for LaserJets.

  I don't work for HP at all, but I think that LJs are as good a class of
  computer product as there is.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
   pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

In article <3278@canisius.UUCP>, pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
> In article <1991Mar12.154233@sdd.hp.com>, tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
> >
> > Why do you assume that this is a bug?  The manual says that graphics are
> > not supported while in Landscape mode.  How do you think it should behave?
> >
>   Yes it does, I've seen it in every manual from the original LaserJet
>   on, ....

   I hit the 's' button on the above, looked up from my monitor and there
   staring at me was a graphic printed on an HP LJIIP, produced via
   DrawPerfect.....

   Ok, I SWEAR there's something about all this in the manual, some wierd
   limitation, but I'll be damned if I am going to look for it now (I'd
   sooner hit "n" on the flames).

   apologies, pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

jrc@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Jim Conrad) (03/18/91)

>   The reason for these annoyances I suspect is the layout of physical
>mmeory. It's easy to implement quicky raster rows that go along
>successive memory locations and harder (slower) to do raster columns
>that don't use adjacent bytes.
Close...

Either the printer would need to have enough memory to model the entire page,
or the image would have to be transmitted by columns (instead of rows) to
deal with graphics in landscape mode.  Transmitting the image by columns in
landscape mode is the same problem (for the application programs) as
transmitting it by rows in portrait mode.

JimC

PS.  Thanks for reading the manual first, but the HP Personal Peripheral
Assist Line should be able to answer questions like this one.  You pay
for the call to (208) 323-2551, but there's no charge for LaserJet support.