[comp.periphs.printers] questions about color printers

aguero@nova2.stanford.edu (Victor M. Aguero) (03/14/91)

BBoard Information Request:

I have been tasked with researching color printer output options, and
thought I would check the BBoard for information.  In particular, I am
interested in input from folks on machines (under $10K) for color
hardcopy output (not film).  The only one I have information on at
this time is the HP Paintjet.  I am interested in prices and
specifications for units in the resolution range of approx. 100 dpi up
to laser quality (say approx. 400 dpi).  Possibly more important might
be comments on software to dump to these printers, X window dump
(xwd), etc., availability of software to convert from "standard"
formats to the printer's format.  Also highly appreciated would be
pointers to recent literature reviews of color printers.

I have already checked recent postings - as far back as were available
to me - and found none on color printers, so if anyone has prior
postings that would apply, pointers to these would be acceptable too.

Reply to AGUERO@STAR.STANFORD.EDU (and I'll post the cummulative results
to the net).            -Victor

kwkyan01@uctvax.uct.ac.za (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar14.042524.23016@morrow.stanford.edu>, aguero@nova2.stanford.edu (Victor M. Aguero) writes:
> BBoard Information Request:
>
> I have been tasked with researching color printer output options, and
> thought I would check the BBoard for information.  In particular, I am
> interested in input from folks on machines (under $10K) for color
> hardcopy output (not film).  The only one I have information on at
> this time is the HP Paintjet.  I am interested in prices and
> specifications for units in the resolution range of approx. 100 dpi up
> to laser quality (say approx. 400 dpi).  Possibly more important might
> be comments on software to dump to these printers, X window dump
> (xwd), etc., availability of software to convert from "standard"
> formats to the printer's format.  Also highly appreciated would be
> pointers to recent literature reviews of color printers.
>
> I have already checked recent postings - as far back as were available
> to me - and found none on color printers, so if anyone has prior
> postings that would apply, pointers to these would be acceptable too.
>
> Reply to AGUERO@STAR.STANFORD.EDU (and I'll post the cummulative results
> to the net).            -Victor

You should have a look at the Howtek colour printer - It does 300 dpi colour
& emulates HP plotters/lasers. I think it's retailing for $ 2995