[comp.periphs.printers] Do Deskjets clog up?

anil@umiami.ir.miami.edu (03/21/91)

	I would like some advice from all you qualified individuals out there
as to whether I should purchase a Deskjet or simply the cheapest laser I can
find. Some ugly rumors have been going around as to the propensity of Deskjets
clogging up after a period of time, which makes me become somewhat cautious.
	Is it wiser for me to spend the extra $250 on, for example, expanded
hardrive memory or spend it on added reliability(?) and performance from a
laser? Please help!

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.155519.8169@umiami.ir.miami.edu> anil@umiami.ir.miami.edu writes:

   >	I would like some advice from all you qualified individuals out there
   >as to whether I should purchase a Deskjet or simply the cheapest laser I can
   >find. Some ugly rumors have been going around as to the propensity of Deskjets
   >clogging up after a period of time, which makes me become somewhat cautious.

I've had my DeskJet PLUS for well over a year and a half now.  The duty
cycle it's seen, being very generous, has been very light.  I may go on a
printing fever one week and then I may not print a single sheet for
several weeks.  Not once have I had my DJ+ clog in anyway.  About a month
ago I purchased a cartridge with HP's "new" ink it.  So far, no clogs
either (and this new ink doesn't run although you do need to let it dry
first).

   >	Is it wiser for me to spend the extra $250 on, for example, expanded
   >hardrive memory or spend it on added reliability(?) and performance from a
   >laser? Please help!

Well, I can't rightly tell you what to do and even if I would, you really
haven't given me much info to go on.  I think you're gonna need to sit
back and determine your own priorities.  Added reliablility of a laser?
I've had less hassle with my DJ+ than the LASERJETS and IMAGENS I take
care of at the various jobs I've had.  I can't recall having heard anyone
having any problems with a DeskJet.

I bought my DJ+ because it would give me 300-dpi (or something close
enough) at a pretty good price.  When idle it doesn't take much more
power than a night light and running it sips up only about 3-4 times
that.  It's small, light, and doesn't need 5-10 minutes to "warm up" each
time I turn it on.  Yes, it's a little slower but I've got time and
patience so I can wait.  I like my DeskJet PLUS -- I think I'll keep it.

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock / CompSci Dept		DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
University of Maryland		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.155519.8169@umiami.ir.miami.edu> anil@umiami.ir.miami.edu writes:

>Some ugly rumors have been going around as to the propensity of Deskjets
>clogging up after a period of time, which makes me become somewhat cautious.

No, maybe there's some other kind of inkjet that does, but the print head on
a DeskJet is part of the ink cartridge, so it gets changed every time a new
cartridge is put it.  If you're going to be doing a lot of printing, you should
know that the per page cost of ink cartridges can be higher than the per page
cost of laser toner cartridges.

        preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov
	[the United States has] "no opinion on your border
	dispute with Kuwait"  - U.S. Ambassador April Glaspie, July, 1990
        D. R. Preston  584 Castro St. #614 SF CA 94114 USA

kpjone01@ulkyvx.bitnet (03/25/91)

In article <93627@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) writes:

> No, maybe there's some other kind of inkjet that does, but the print head on
> a DeskJet is part of the ink cartridge, so it gets changed every time a new
> cartridge is put it.  If you're going to be doing a lot of printing, you should
> know that the per page cost of ink cartridges can be higher than the per page
> cost of laser toner cartridges.

I have had two Deskjets get clogged in the same week recently.  I have
concluded that the problem might lie in the type of ink used.  The ink used in
the two printers that were clogged was of the refill type. I don't know the
brand name of the refill company but I do know the price was about $8.  We now
use authentic HP cartridges and have not had a problem since.

Kevin Jones