[comp.periphs.printers] reading from a parallel port

djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug Kelly) (04/09/91)

Hello, Im trying to write a program to interface to my Epson ES-300C color
scanner.  It uses a bi-directional parallel interface, and i cant figure out
how to 'read' from a parallel port.  Im using borland turbo c, any help would
be appreciated.  Thanks

Doug
djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (04/09/91)

djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug Kelly) writes:

>Hello, Im trying to write a program to interface to my Epson ES-300C color
>scanner.  It uses a bi-directional parallel interface, and i cant figure out
>how to 'read' from a parallel port.  Im using borland turbo c, any help would
>be appreciated.  Thanks

I just posted in alt.sources some library code for Boreland C that can be
used to drive a printer port bi-directionaly.  This code is fast and
should do what you need.  Note that this library is NOT interrupt driven.
For the original application, we needed the speed of polled mode.  An
ISR should be trivial to use Boreland's ISR routines.

If there is interest, I'll post it here too.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)