[comp.periphs.printers] HP Thinkjet = Kodak Diconix?

danlowe@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dan Lowe) (04/18/91)

I noticed today in a store that HP Thinkjet cartridges look identical to
Kodak Diconix cartridges.  In fact, there is a small "hp" logo on my
Kodak Diconix cartridge.  Does this mean that HP is OEM supplying Kodak?
If so, would I be able to use Thinkjet cartridges as replacements and do
Thinkjet cartridges come with the blotting pads also?  Info will be
greatly appreciated.

Dan Lowe             ersys!danlowe@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

peten@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Pete Nicholson) (04/20/91)

 danlowe@ersys.HP.COM writes:

>I noticed today in a store that HP Thinkjet cartridges look identical to
>Kodak Diconix cartridges.  In fact, there is a small "hp" logo on my
>Kodak Diconix cartridge.  Does this mean that HP is OEM supplying Kodak?
>If so, would I be able to use Thinkjet cartridges as replacements and do
>Thinkjet cartridges come with the blotting pads also?  Info will be

I was one of the ThinkJet design engineers so I know something about this.
The answers are yes, sort of, and yes. 2nd Question is sort of because I
think the Diconix cartridge gets a special Diconix-supplied ink.

--Usual disclaimer: I'm not speaking for hp, I just work for them.

-- Pete Nicholson             peten@hp-vcd.HP.COM

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (04/23/91)

Re:  Diconix vs. ThinkJet

The answers to your questions are yes, yes, and yes.  In fact if you look
at the Diconix advertisement in your DAK catalog, you will see a close-up
of a Diconix printhead with the HP logo clearly visible.

The Diconix cartridges have Diconix ink in them.  The difference between
the two inks (HP or Diconix) is probably not detectable by the average user.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP, Ft. Collins, CO
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com