[comp.periphs.printers] ThinkJet conversion?

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/17/91)

I have an HP ThinkJet printer with an IEEE-488/GPIB/HPIB/whatever interface.
I'd rather have a serial or parallel interface.  Is there any way to convert
the unit, even if it takes cannibalizing another ThinkJet?

Please don't recommend an IEEE-488 converter box unless it is *very*
inexpensive.  I can't see putting more than about $50 toward the conversion.

Thanks in advance,
--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division

charlies@hpnmdla.hp.com (Charlie Sallberg) (04/19/91)

 I could be wrong, but it looks to me like it would be a very MAJOR
 cannibalization job to convert your HPIB ThinkJet to Serial or Parallel.

 I'm using one with Centronics Parallel, and its powered by an external
 power module. All the HPIB ThinkJets I've seen have internal power suppplies
 so you use an ordinary power cord.

 Can't find the right screwdriver to open up my printer, but I'm guessing
 that the difference in the models involves the entire main PC board. Since
 I am not a printer expert, perhaps someone from HP Vancouver or another
 printer division will respond.

 Have you tried calling "HP Direct" ? They're at 800-538-8787 (actually
 located in Sunnyvale). I see no upgrade kits in the catalog, so I'm not
 optimistic that we sell any such kit.

 Good luck & Best regards,
 Charlie

 Charlie Sallberg, M/S 3LS-C       PHONE:707 577-3255       FAX:707 577-2887
 Network Measurements Div.,1400 Fountaingrove Pkwy.,Santa Rosa,CA 95403-1799

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/23/91)

charlies@hpnmdla.hp.com (Charlie Sallberg) writes:

[about converting an HPIB ThinkJet into an RS232 or Centronics ThinkJet]

> Have you tried calling "HP Direct" ? They're at 800-538-8787 (actually
> located in Sunnyvale). I see no upgrade kits in the catalog, so I'm not
> optimistic that we sell any such kit.

As a matter of fact, I'm in a class with someone who works at HP Direct.
She checked into it and the official word is "no way, buy a converter from
Black Box".  Thanks for the suggestion, though.