[comp.periphs.printers] Seiko vs. Tek Phaser color printers?

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (04/24/91)

Any experience out there pro or con re: Seiko ColorPoint PS color
PostScript printers?  Reviews in Mac rags suggest that it and
Tek Phaser PX are the best at image/continuous-tone graphics among
models in the $6K-8K range, and the Tek is about $1.5K more.
Another problem with the Tek is absense of black in ribbons.

Target environment is diverse--various flavors Unix, VMS, Macs, maybe
PCs--and I'd be particularly interested in hearing about interface
& driver problems.  I'm aware early Seikos had brain-dead LocalTalk
interfaces, but I'm hoping that problem has been fixed.

Christopher Gunn        Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN      Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
913-864-4428 or -4495   University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.111730.29967@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:
> Any experience out there pro or con re: Seiko ColorPoint PS color
> PostScript printers?  [...vs. Tektronix Phasers...]
> Another problem with the Tek is absense of black in ribbons.

Tek e-mailed back REAL FAST to say that this was an error in the
Mac magazine review I had read, and that both three- and four-color
(and all-black) ribbons were available....   Kit Gunn