[comp.periphs.printers] LaserJet IIIsi Network Interface -- Call HP with opinions!

remaker@icarus.amd.com (Phillip Remaker) (04/20/91)

I was *very* excited to hear about the LaserJet IIIsi:  A Postscript
ready printer with a network interface that prints 17ppm.  For less than
comprable ethernet attached printers from Talaris and Imagen/QMS.

The ethernet interface is disappointing, since it only speaks to
Novell and 3Com.  I called HP and they say that the next supported platform
will be the Apple Macintosh via appletalk/ethertalk.

Since I am from a Unix shop, I am shut out.  I understand the thrust
is to get the high volume PC market, so I cannot blame them.

I called pre-sales technical assistance and they said that they have
no short-term plans to support printing from Unix LPR.  I told them
that I would love to see Unix support, and they say they are in
touch with the product development group and will pass on all suggestions
about their products.

So, if you are like me and would like to see Unix/lpr support on the HP
LaserJet IIIsi, call the HP-printer pre-sales technical assistance hotline
at 1-800-752-0900 and ask them when the IIIsi will support printing from
Unix platforms over ethernet.

And pass it on.  The more votes HP gets, the sooner they will see a market
to exploit!

Thanks for your help.

--
Phillip A. Remaker A.M.D. M/S 167 P.O. Box 3453 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3000
TCP/IP internetworking from hell. DoD #185 remaker@amd.com  408-749-2552

Ed Garay <U12570@uicvm.uic.edu> (04/25/91)

   remaker@icarus.amd.com (Phillip Remaker) writes:
   > ...stuff deleted...
   >The ethernet interface is disappointing, since it only speaks to
   >Novell and 3Com.  I called HP and they say that the next supported platform
   >will be the Apple Macintosh via appletalk/ethertalk.
   >
   >Since I am from a Unix shop, I am shut out.  I understand the thrust
   >is to get the high volume PC market, so I cannot blame them.

I also would like to see an Ethernet interface for the LaserJet IIISi
so that it can be connected directly to TCP/IP. I have heard that HP
is working on such an interface board. Also, I have been told, that
a third party company called XYplex has an external box that essentially
does the same thing; but no one can tell me yet how to contact them (??).

   >So, if you are like me and would like to see Unix/lpr support on the
   >LaserJet IIIsi, call the HP-printer pre-sales technical assistance phone
   >at 1-800-752-0900 and ask them when the IIIsi will support printing for
   >Unix platforms over ethernet.

Good idea, Let's call them. We need this connectivity.

--- Ed Garay      "When will HP start selling the LaserJet IIIP? hmmm..."