[comp.periphs.printers] connecting a Commodore printer to an IBM

smeets@speedy.ada.cci.de (Vincent Smeets) (05/06/91)

Does anybody have an idee about how I can connect a Brother HR-10C
daisywheel printer to an IBM (or compatible)? The problem is that this
printer has a connector for a Commodore C-64 computer and this is a
synchronical serial connection.

My first idee was to connect the printer to the serial port of my
computer. The only problem is that the HR-10C has a synchronical serial
port and I don't know how I must connect this to the asynchronical
serial port of the IBM. I also have to know how I must direct the
serial port of my computer to behave as an asynchronical serial port.

My second idee was to build or buy a converter from RS-232 or
Centronics to Commodore-Serial. For this solution, I need a building
plan or a place and price where I can buy a convertor.

	Vincent Smeets
	E-Mail : smeets@cci.de

In article <125@speedy.ada.cci.de> smeets@speedy.ada.cci.de (Vincent Smeets) writes:
>Does anybody have an idee about how I can connect a Brother HR-10C
>daisywheel printer to an IBM (or compatible)? The problem is that this
>printer has a connector for a Commodore C-64 computer and this is a
>synchronical serial connection.

Your site name ends in ".de", so you live here? Then I have an address
for you. This company offers an interface for printers with the C64
serial bus. The interface connects to the PC's parallel port. It is
only usable for printers, not for bidirectional devices like floppies.
     R. Rubel
     Oberweg 14A
     W-6368 Bad Vilbel 3
     Germany
     Tel. 0049 - 6101 - 43460

cgreen@essex.ac.uk (05/10/91)

From article <125@speedy.ada.cci.de>, by smeets@speedy.ada.cci.de (Vincent Smeets):
> Does anybody have an idee about how I can connect a Brother HR-10C
> daisywheel printer to an IBM (or compatible)? The problem is that this
> printer has a connector for a Commodore C-64 computer and this is a
> synchronical serial connection.

[stuff deleted]

> My first idee was to connect the printer to the serial port of my
> Centronics to Commodore-Serial. For this solution, I need a building
> plan or a place and price where I can buy a convertor.

Here is note I just put up on the COMMODOR mailing list which may be of
interest:-

There is a company in the UK which makes such an interface, their
address is:-

    York Electronic Research,
    The Paddocks,
    Jockey Lane,
    Huntington,
    York  YO3 9NE
    England

Telephone number 44 904 610722

They accept Visa and Access (=MasterCard).  The "interface cable, PC
software and manual" costs 35.25 pounds sterling including VAT (local
tax, 17.5%).  The tax isn't chargeable if they mail it direct to you
in the USA, I used to find when I lived overseas that the mailing cost
just about offset the VAT that was saved.

Currently one pound sterling is about $1.70 but the rate is fluctuating
quite a lot at the moment.

The full text of the advertisement is as follows by the way, it might
tell you as much as you need to know:-

L I N K   C 6 4   P E R I P H E R A L S    T O   Y O U R   P C

* interface cable, PC software & manual #35.25 including VAT
                                             ----------------
* Connects directly - No C64 required        |    CBM 64    |
                                             | Disk drives  |
* Menu-driven disk file transfer program     ----------------
                                               \|/      /|\
* Read/write text, binary and BASIC files    ----------------
                                             |    IBM PC    |
* Printer drivers for MPS, DPS, VIC & HR10   | & compatibles|
* Intercepts standard DOS PRN/LPT output           \|/
* Full 96 character ASCII set supported      |	  CBM 64    |
                                             |   Printers   |
* EPSON graphics emulation on MPS801/3       ----------------

Y o r k   E l e c t r o n i c   R e s e a r c h (0904) 610722
    The Paddocks, Jockey Lane, Huntington, York, YO3 9NA

I hope the boxes and so on come out OK through the mail!

Chris Green  (chris@kbss.bt.co.uk  or  cgreen@essex.ac.uk)