[comp.periphs.printers] New Information on LaserJet IIIP?

burgess@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Burgess) (05/01/91)

Someone said it has been released--is this for real?

I am in the market for a laser printing full page
graphics for ~$1000.  I could get the IIp for $740
(educational), but I won't if this new printer is a
replacement/upgrade to the IIp (ie fills the IIp's
slot in the hp line).

So: anybody know speed, standard memory, list $,
    educational $?

I'm sure posting would be welcomed but email is fine.

Richard Burgess       BURGESS@ENIAC.SEAS.UPENN.EDU
University of Pennsylvania

U12570@uicvm.uic.edu (Ed Garay) (05/01/91)

   In article <42359@netnews.upenn.edu>, burgess@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
   (Richard Burgess) asks:

   >Someone said it has been released--is this for real?

Yes, it is. Here is the information I have on it thus far.

The LaserJet IIIP has the same print engine, speed and size as the IIP.
Like all others in the LaserJet III family of printers, the IIIP comes
std with the following features:
  + HP's Resolution Enhancement Technology (RET)
  + PCL5 (HP's most feature-rich printer command language to date,
    with some PostScript-like features and functionality)
  + HPGL/2 (HP's newest graphics (plotter) language)
  + 8 scalable fonts (four Times-Roman and four Univers (like Helvetica))
  + 14 bitmappped fonts
  + 1MB RAM
  + PostScript upgradable

The IIIP lists for $1,595 with a probable street price of about $1,000.

According to InfoWorld, Volume 13, Issue 17, the IIIP can use the same
memory boards as the IIP, III and IIID for a maximum of 5MB of RAM.
Other IIIP features include a 16MHz CISC processor and a parallel port
that accepts data at a rate four times faster than that of the IIP.

For more information contact HP at 1-800-752-0900.

[Note: I am not affiliated with Hewlett Packard. I only use some
of their products, and I am, for the most part, satisfied with them.]

--- Ed Garay
    University of Illinois at Chicago, Computer Center
    Internet: u12570@uicvm.uic.edu     Bitnet: u12570@uicvm

jeff@hpuplca.nsr.hp.com ( Jeff Gruszynski ) (05/02/91)

> / hpuplca:comp.periphs.printers / burgess@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Burgess) /  2:35 am  May  1, 1991 /
>

> Someone said it has been released--is this for real?

	On April Corporate Price List

> I am in the market for a laser printing full page
> graphics for ~$1000.  I could get the IIp for $740
> (educational), but I won't if this new printer is a
> replacement/upgrade to the IIp (ie fills the IIp's
> slot in the hp line).

> So: anybody know speed, standard memory, list $,
>     educational $?

	Looks like a LJIIP (same outline/footprint/package)

	PCL5 with Resolution Enhancement, New Raster Compression Mode,
		and HP/GL-2

	1MByte standard

	Faster Internal CPU

	Faster Parallel Port Rate (5.5X)

	Takes LJIIP accessories (cartridges, memory, paper trays, etc.)

	Takes LJIII Scaleable Font Cartridges and SW Drivers

	Part Number:  HP33481A

	List Price:  $1595 (like LJIIP originally)

---------------
Jeff Gruszynski
T&M STE SE
Santa Clara Sales
Hewlett Packard Corporation

DROGC@CUNYVM.BITNET (David Rosenthal) (05/06/91)

Can anybody tell me, about the IIIP, whether it has the same
paper output slot on the side that the IIP has, and whether
it would work to have output come out there into, say, a suitably
sized box, to circumvent the 50-page limit on the output on top
of the unit?

Many thanks,

David

craigg@hpwrce.HP.COM (05/08/91)

The HP LaserJet IIIP was introduced the week of 4/26.

This is not a planned replacement for the IIP but rather an addition
to the LaserJet family.

From the info in a recent publication...  List price $1,595.
Same print engine as LaserJet IIP, but with performance enhancements, and
resolution enhancements. (Faster processor, Faster I/O, Dot scaling)

It is planned that the LaserJet IIP users will be able to purchase
an upgrade cartridge for their printers.  The cartridge will allow the
users to use PCL 5 on the LaserJet IIP.  The article says nothing about
the addition of the resolution enhancement.

The current list price of the IIP is $1,295

|Craig Gilmore                     |  "I know GOD is a man, 'cause the first  |
|Hewlett-Packard Response Center   |  thing created was DIRT.  A woman would  |
|craigg@hpwrce.HP.COM              |  have created a DUSTBUSTER..." -Gallager |
|These are MY opinions, HP only pays me to answer questions and solve problems|

suresh@babu.esd.sgi.com (Sureshbabu Katta) (05/16/91)

writes:

| >> So: anybody know speed, standard memory, list $,
| >>     educational $?
| >	Looks like a LJIIP (same outline/footprint/package)
| >	PCL5 with Resolution Enhancement, New Raster Compression Mode,
| >		and HP/GL-2
| >	1MByte standard
| >	Faster Internal CPU
| >	Faster Parallel Port Rate (5.5X)
| >	Takes LJIIP accessories (cartridges, memory, paper trays, etc.)
| >	Takes LJIII Scaleable Font Cartridges and SW Drivers
| >	Part Number:  HP33481A
| >	List Price:  $1595 (like LJIIP originally)
|
| Does anyone know if HP has any plans to offer upgrade kits for the
| LJIIP (to a LJIIIP)?
| --
| Tedd.Meinersmann@AtlantaGA.NCR.COM                           (404)-623-7349
| 2651 Satellite Blvd.
| Duluth, GA  30136
I was told by HP they will soon have cartridges for upgrading from IIP to IIIP.
When I asked them about the price, I was told it will be around $400-$500.
I'm not sure if it is worth upgrading. Upgrade is extremly expensive.

-suresh 	suresh@sgi.com

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (05/16/91)

In article <18987@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM> tmeiners@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Tedd Meinersmann) writes:

>Does anyone know if HP has any plans to offer upgrade kits for the
>LJIIP (to a LJIIIP)?

Rumor has it that HP will market a PCL5 cartridge this fall, which will give
advanced graphic and font scaling capabilities. Adding Resolution Enhancement
would cost so much as to be prohibitive, so don't expect a full IIP->IIIP
upgrade. The formatter board (which is the only difference between a IIP and
a IIIP) would have to be replaced, and it'd cost about as much as a IIP is worth

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:

bob@uis-oc.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias Jr.) (05/28/91)

tmeiners@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Tedd Meinersmann) writes:
> In <2010001@hpuplca.nsr.hp.com> jeff@hpuplca.nsr.hp.com (   Jeff Gruszynski  ) writes:

> Does anyone know if HP has any plans to offer upgrade kits for the
> LJIIP (to a LJIIIP)?

I saw a comment by a HP person on CompuServe that HP does not intend to offer
an upgrade for the IIP but they will be coming out with a PCL 5 cartridge.  The
HP person stated that an upgrade would not be cost effective.

--
Bob Mathias                          uucp: ccicpg!uis-oc!bob@uunet.uu.net
Unisys Corporation                   CServ: 70340,165