[comp.periphs.printers] Deskjet/writer Paper ?

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/18/91)

What kind of paper does HP recommend for its Deskjet printers?  Are
there certain brands or weights that work better than others?  I have
a list (see below) but only the Hammermill paper, rated "fair", is
available locally.  And only one paper was rated "excellent".  What
about paper with cotton in it?  Does recycled paper work better or
worse, in general, with the deskwriter?  The whole point is to find a
paper that does not bleed with the deskwriter ink.

	Wey                     POOR
	Wey Premium             POOR
	"Xerocopy" paper        POOR-FAIR
	Quality Park Recycled   POOR-FAIR
	Hammermill Fore DP      FAIR
	Quality Park            GOOD
	My old copier paper     GOOD
	Whisper Wove            EXCELLENT   (7 cents/sheet)

	Next Generation (recycled)
	Jet 24 (small company in easter Mass; $8/ream + shipping)
	Neenah Bond 25% Cotton Fiber ($12-18/ream)

Does the new permanent ink have any drawbacks compared to the old ink?
Does it look just as good?  Does it bleed more or less than the old
ink?  Is the old ink still available?  I have something printed with
the old ink, and the quality is pretty amazing (better than many laser
printers).

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL

--

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.230933.9945@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:

>What
>about paper with cotton in it?

High cotton content paper doesn't work well.

>	Wey                     POOR
>	Wey Premium             POOR
>	"Xerocopy" paper        POOR-FAIR
>	Quality Park Recycled   POOR-FAIR
>	Hammermill Fore DP      FAIR
>	Quality Park            GOOD
>	My old copier paper     GOOD
>	Whisper Wove            EXCELLENT   (7 cents/sheet)

	Benchmark High-Speed Xeropraphic	GOOD
	Weyerhaeuser First Choice (24#)		GOOD-EXCELLENT (especially
for large type or dark graphics, 'cause it's a heavy paper)  (1.5 cents/sheet)
	James River Pro-Tech Laser Bond 	EXCELLENT  (1.33 cents/sheet)

>Does the new permanent ink have any drawbacks compared to the old ink?

I haven't noticed any.

dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt) (05/19/91)

I've been using Endurance XDP "High speed Xerographic"... the house
brand of copier paper at the local Office Club.  About $2.50/ream, or
about half a cent per page.  Results are quite good.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
              Domain: dplatt@ntg.com      UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (05/19/91)

I use Xerox 4200 DP paper, 20 lb. It works well for character data with
my dj500, but gets pretty saturated with graphics. It dries nicely tho.
BobM, PSU-Harrisburg

willa@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Will Allen) (05/21/91)

Which paper is best for DeskJet/DeskWriter?  Experiment...your mileage may
vary.  Be sure to try printing on both sides of the paper; print quality may
vary significantly depending on the side used.

. . .Will

Will Allen
HP Vancouver Division
willa@vcd.hp.com  or  ...!hplabs!vcd!willa

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (05/22/91)

In article <980011@hp-vcd.HP.COM> willa@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Will Allen) writes:
   >Which paper is best for DeskJet/DeskWriter?  Experiment...your mileage may
   >vary.  Be sure to try printing on both sides of the paper; print quality may
   >vary significantly depending on the side used.

Normally, on the side of the paper wrapper, there is a label describing
the paper within.  Look for a small arrow or triangle.  The direction it
points indicates the side of the paper that should be printed on.  So, to
confuse matters more, if the arrow is pointing down, then the side of the
paper facing downward should be the side that receives the ink/toner/ket-
chup/mustard/chocolate syrup/whathaveyou.

	-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock / Computer Science Dept	DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
University of Maryland			PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (05/22/91)

In article <34726@mimsy.umd.edu>, rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock)
says:
>Normally, on the side of the paper wrapper, there is a label describing
>the paper within.  Look for a small arrow or triangle.  The direction it
>points indicates the side of the paper that should be printed on.  So, to
>confuse matters more, if the arrow is pointing down, then the side of the
>paper facing downward should be the side that receives the ink/toner/ket-
>chup/mustard/chocolate syrup/whathaveyou.

Hmmmm. I always wondered what that arrow on a ream package meant. One
additional question: which side of paper does a HP DeskJet print on?
The side facing *UP* in the paper trray, or the *DOWN* side?
BobM

ken@csis.dit.csiro.au (Ken Yap) (05/22/91)

>Hmmmm. I always wondered what that arrow on a ream package meant. One
>additional question: which side of paper does a HP DeskJet print on?
>The side facing *UP* in the paper trray, or the *DOWN* side?

That's easy to find out empirically for any printer. Just make a slight
pencil mark on one side of a blank sheet and run this page through the
printer.

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (05/22/91)

In <1991May22.063416.16020@csis.dit.csiro.au> ken@csis.dit.csiro.au (Ken Yap) writes:

>>Hmmmm. I always wondered what that arrow on a ream package meant. One
>>additional question: which side of paper does a HP DeskJet print on?
>>The side facing *UP* in the paper trray, or the *DOWN* side?

>That's easy to find out empirically for any printer. Just make a slight
>pencil mark on one side of a blank sheet and run this page through the
>printer.

It's also easy to work out in a gedanken experiment--try to see if you
can puzzle out any way the thing could print on the top surface without
passing the paper through a spacewarp.  After puzzling on that for a
while accept the alternative hypothesis--it must print on the bottom
surface.  (this assumes you have a deksjet to look at while thinking).

Ross
--
Ross A. Alford
Department of Zoology                      Internet: zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

In article <91141.225012RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

   >additional question: which side of paper does a HP DeskJet print on?
   >The side facing *UP* in the paper trray, or the *DOWN* side?

Not to sound depressing but it's the *DOWN* side.

	-Rusty-
--

damon@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Damon Schaefer) (05/29/91)

/ hp-vcd:comp.periphs.printers / RFM@psuvm.psu.edu /  7:50 pm  May 21, 1991 /
In article <34726@mimsy.umd.edu>, rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock)
says:

> Hmmmm. I always wondered what that arrow on a ream package meant. One
> additional question: which side of paper does a HP DeskJet print on?
> The side facing *UP* in the paper trray, or the *DOWN* side?
> BobM

The side facing "down" in the paper tray is the side that gets printed
on...

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (05/31/91)

In article <RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> >says:

>> Hmmmm. I always wondered what that arrow on a ream package meant. One
>> additional question: which side of paper does a HP DeskJet print on?
>> The side facing *UP* in the paper trray, or the *DOWN* side?
>> BobM
>

>The side facing "down" in the paper tray is the side that gets printed
>on...

Hmmmm. Ask a dumb question & get *lots* of good answers. I now pay
attention to the arrow on the label of my paper package and don't
flip the paper over before sticking it in the tray on my DJ500.
Thanks to all who responded.
BobM