[comp.periphs.printers] What printer should I get?

BS65SANU@MIAMIU.BITNET (Brian Samson) (05/12/91)

Hey there, people..  I have a question that maybe someone could give me
some advice on.  I need a dot matrix printer with letter quality, does
graphics, and is relatively quiet and fast.  I have about $600 (give or
take $100) to blow on this thing.  What should I look at?

                          Thanks for any help,

                                    Brian Samson  (Aka. Pianoman)

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (05/14/91)

> Hey there, people..  I have a question that maybe someone could give me
> some advice on.  I need a dot matrix printer with letter quality, does
> graphics, and is relatively quiet and fast.  I have about $600 (give or
> take $100) to blow on this thing.  What should I look at?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Brian Samson  (Aka. Pianoman)

Brian,

What you want is an older-model DeskJet.  Your cost constraints kind of
eliminate the latest version, the DJ500, but it retails for only about $1K.
I don't know the street price of a DeskJet or DeskJet Plus, but I'd be really
surprised if they were going for much more than $500.

The entire DJ series is letter(Laser!)-quality 300 dpi, beautiful graphics,
whisper-quiet, and ... well, okay, not fast.  How fast did you say it had to
be?

Output is on regular 8-1/2" x 11" cut sheets, and with the new ink it's as
waterproof as the paper it's printed on.  You can buy Epson or IBM Proprinter
emulator cartridges for the DJ if you need to.

For more information, see any local computer dealer who has HP printers.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP ICBD -- IC's by Dictatorship
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

Well, I stuck my foot in my mouth and said:

> The entire DJ series is letter(Laser!)-quality 300 dpi, beautiful graphics,
> whisper-quiet, and ... well, okay, not fast.  How fast did you say it had to
> be?

May the gang in Vancouver forgive me.  The original DJ was slow, especially
on graphics.  The DJ+ was faster, and the DJ500 is right in there with
everybody else.  Sorry if I steered anybody wrong.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP ICBD -- IC's by Dictatorship
Fort Collins, CO
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

mcain@cherokee.uswest.com (Michael Cain) (05/15/91)

In article <8400010@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>> Hey there, people..  I have a question that maybe someone could give me
>> some advice on.  I need a dot matrix printer with letter quality, does
>> graphics, and is relatively quiet and fast.  I have about $600 (give or
>> take $100) to blow on this thing.  What should I look at?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Brian Samson  (Aka. Pianoman)
>
>Brian,
>
>What you want is an older-model DeskJet.  Your cost constraints kind of
>eliminate the latest version, the DJ500, but it retails for only about $1K.
>I don't know the street price of a DeskJet or DeskJet Plus, but I'd be really
>surprised if they were going for much more than $500.

At least here in the Denver area, the local CompuAdd store
regularly advertises the DJ500 for $499.

andy@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Andy Gray) (05/15/91)

In article <8400010@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>> Hey there, people..  I have a question that maybe someone could give me
>> some advice on.  I need a dot matrix printer with letter quality, does
>> graphics, and is relatively quiet and fast.  I have about $600 (give or
>> take $100) to blow on this thing.  What should I look at?

>What you want is an older-model DeskJet.  Your cost constraints kind of
>eliminate the latest version, the DJ500, but it retails for only about $1K.
>I don't know the street price of a DeskJet or DeskJet Plus, but I'd be really
>surprised if they were going for much more than $500.

Actually, the street price of a DeskJet 500 is only about $500 as well.  I
bought mine for $520, and I've seen newspaper advertisements for around $460
(cash price) in Los Angeles.

Ditto on all of the other comments though - very sharp text, 300 dpi
graphics, very quiet, etc.  I've been very satisfied with mine.

					-- Andy
      Andy Gray                     andy@jarthur.claremont.edu
      Platt Campus Center           andy@jarthur.UUCP
      Harvey Mudd College           ...uunet!jarthur!andy
      Claremont, CA  91711          agray@HMCVAX.BITNET

graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com (Michael Graff) (05/15/91)

Methinks Ray hasn't shopped for printers in a while.  The current
Deskjet 500 lists for $729 and sells for under $500.  The older models
are basically gone.

...Michael

sgothard@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Gothard) (05/16/91)

/ hpdmd48:comp.periphs.printers / BS65SANU@MIAMIU.BITNET (Brian Samson) /  1:08 pm  May 11, 1991 /
Hey there, people..  I have a question that maybe someone could give me
some advice on.  I need a dot matrix printer with letter quality, does
graphics, and is relatively quiet and fast.  I have about $600 (give or
take $100) to blow on this thing.  What should I look at?

                          Thanks for any help,

                                    Brian Samson  (Aka. Pianoman)

 I hear you can get a HP LJIIP for between $700 and $800. Not a dot matrix but
 it might be something you could get used to.

 Steve Gothard
 Designing LaserJets for Bill and Dave
 ----------

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/18/91)

Last Sunday's New York Times had the Deskjet500 for $479+5% S&H, from
a few different retailers.

You said you needed a "dot matrix" printer.  Do you really need
something that can print onto carbon forms?  If not, I'd suggest
getting a deskjet (or deskwriter, if you have a macintosh).

--

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (05/29/91)

In comp.periphs.printers, graff@mlpvm2.vnet.ibm.com (Michael Graff) puts a
smile on my face:

> Methinks Ray hasn't shopped for printers in a while.  The current
> Deskjet 500 lists for $729 and sells for under $500.  The older models
> are basically gone.

I plead guilty as charged.  Ever since I bought my LJ, I've been having too
much fun to look at other printer prices.  Besides, here inside HP all we see
are MSRP and transfer costs; they keep us too busy to keep track of street
prices.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP ICBD -- IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (06/03/91)

In article <91131.140852BS65SANU@MIAMIU.BITNET>, BS65SANU@MIAMIU.BITNET (Brian Samson) writes:
> I need a dot matrix printer with letter quality, does
> graphics, and is relatively quiet and fast.  I have about $600 (give or
> take $100) to blow on this thing.  What should I look at?

   A DeskJet.  Decent letter quality, quiet, and - considering your options,
   "fast".  I don't know of any dot matrix that won't come in a distant second
   to the DeskJet on any of these criteria.  With the exception of WP "table"
    output, maybe.  But that's a problem in WP, no ?

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
    pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (06/07/91)

In article <8400010@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM>, rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:

> What you want is an older-model DeskJet.  Your cost constraints kind of
> eliminate the latest version, the DJ500, but it retails for only about $1K.

  We purchased a DJ500 for just about $500 (+/- $20).  $500 is pretty much the
  standard mail order price now, tho we purchased ours at a Computer Factory
  outlet.

   greg pavlov,  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org
   fstrf, amherst, ny