[comp.periphs.printers] Wanted: info on Laserjet IIIsi and networks.

md@doc.ic.ac.uk (Mark Dawson) (06/03/91)

Can anyone clarify the network options for the Laserjet III si?

I am considering buying one of these and would like to connect it
to my SUN's using an ethernet rather than a serial line (which I doubt
would keep up with the printer).  However, it seems that the printer
only knows about PC networks.  I would appreciate some illumination
of this problem.  Has anyone direct experience of this?

Please accept my apologies if this question has already been answered
here; I am not a regular reader of this group.

Mark

jpm@hprnd.rose.hp.com (John McHugh) (06/06/91)

Your data is correct.  Currently the only networking interfaces available
as accessories to the Laserjet IIIsi allow connection the Novell OS using
SPX/IP protocol and 3COM 3open using 802.2 type II protocol.  Your workstation
would require an interface card on the LaserJet that could talk TCP/IP.

There are some boxes made by third parties that connect to the network and
then provide output spigots to RS-232 and Centronics which connect to the
printer.  These are typically over $1000 and are limited to the performance
of the box and the Centronics interface but for complex graphics that may
still be much faster than RS-232.  The least expensive option would be
to have a Centronics interface on your workstation but if that is not
possible you may consider the third party tcp/ip boxes.

Regards,

John McHugh

U12570@uicvm.uic.edu (Ed Garay) (06/08/91)

  In article <md.675968159@achilles>, md@doc.ic.ac.uk (Mark Dawson) says:
  >Can anyone clarify the network options for the Laserjet III si?
  >
  >I am considering buying one of these and would like to connect it
  >to my SUN's using an ethernet rather than a serial line (which I doubt
  >would keep up with the printer).  However, it seems that the printer
  >only knows about PC networks.  I would appreciate some illumination
  >of this problem.  Has anyone direct experience of this?

To the best of my knowledge, the current Ethernet board offerings
from Hewlett Packard do not address TCP/IP connectivity; not even
those new Ethernet boards recently announced.

I have been told repeatedly that HP is indeed working on a direct TCP/IP
connection for the LaserJet IIISi. Perhaps, it will be available by the
end of the year. Who knows.

Fortunately, there are, at least, two offerings from third-party companies:
XYplex (from Forsboro, MA 1-800-338-5316)  and Microplex (from Vancouver,
Canada, 604-875-1461, eMail: fff@microplex.com (Fred Fierling)).

Both products: the XYplex MX1400 and the Microplex NetPrint M200
sound good, but we don't have either of them yet.

The XYplex MX1400 is a print server that lists for under $2K.
It has a BNC Ethernet port, four printer ports (2 serial and 2 parallel),
and one "management" port. It comes with some software that needs
to be downloaded to their 18" x 24" x 2" box.

The Microplex NetPrint M200 lists for $995, and will be going in beta
test this month. I was told it should hit the market by the end of July.
It has two Ethernet ports, one high speed parallel port capable of
handling 50 kilobyte-per-second throughputs (:-), and two serial ports.
They provide some software (host spooler) that is required to drive
their 8" x 6" x 2" box. Their software currently runs on SCO Unix,
Xenix and SunOS, and they are interested in porting it to VM (;-)

Naturally, these two products are not specific to the HP LaserJet IIISi,
or to the LaserJet family at all. You can pretty much connect any ASCII
printers to these TCP/IP interface products.

Hope this helps.

--- Ed Garay
    University of Illinois at Chicago, Computer Center

P.S. -- Btw, IMHO, the HP LaserJet IIISi has the best 300dpi laser print
quality to date, and makes an excellent PCL/PostScript/Duplex/17ppm/fast
distributed printer, all for under $5K (;-)

neil@uninet.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (06/10/91)

In article <3670001@hprnd.rose.hp.com> jpm@hprnd.rose.hp.com (John McHugh) writes:
>There are some boxes made by third parties that connect to the network and
>then provide output spigots to RS-232 and Centronics which connect to the
>printer.  These are typically over $1000 and are limited to the performance
>of the box and the Centronics interface but for complex graphics that may
>still be much faster than RS-232.  The least expensive option would be
>to have a Centronics interface on your workstation but if that is not
>possible you may consider the third party tcp/ip boxes.

Our SCSI based Centronics parallel interface goes for $495 including
software, the standard model does 30,000 characters per second, and it
hooks up to lots of workstations.  I'm sure sales@cpd.com would be
happy to tell you more 8-).
--
Neil Gorsuch        INTERNET: neil@cpd.com          UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100

opsrjh@uccvma.ucop.edu (Richard Hintz) (06/12/91)

In article <91158.145157U12570@uicvm.uic.edu> U12570@uicvm.uic.edu (Ed Garay)
writes:
>I have been told repeatedly that HP is indeed working on a direct TCP/IP
>connection for the LaserJet IIISi. Perhaps, it will be available by the
>end of the year. Who knows.
>
>Fortunately, there are, at least, two offerings from third-party companies:

Also, one could get a cheapo PL clone and run  the free LPD from
tacky.cs.olemiss.edu in pub/lpd.  FTP Software also sells an LPD which can run
on a clone.

Richard Hintz   opsrjh@uccvma.ucop.edu
University of California