[comp.periphs.printers] Color Postscript

richard@mee.tcd.ie (06/12/91)

We're considering buying a colour postscript printer for our lab, with
the idea of printing 24-bit colour images. While I realise that we're
not going to get anywhere near photographic quality, any sample prints
I've seen all seem to be from drawing packages, with very little
variation in intensity.

I've seen output from colour photocopiers, the quality seems to fit our
needs exactly, but my question is is it possible to get printers that
come this close to photographic quality ???

If anyone has seen the NEC Colormate PS 80 in action (they have yet to
sell one in Ireland ) I'd really appreciate their comments, or indeed
anyone who has experience in this area.

thanks,
Richard

Richard Bolger                //
Trinity College Dublin       //       rjbolger@vax1.tcd.ie
Republic of Ireland         //

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.141616.1@mee.tcd.ie> richard@mee.tcd.ie writes:
>I've seen output from colour photocopiers, the quality seems to fit our
>needs exactly, but my question is is it possible to get printers that
>come this close to photographic quality ???

There is a Mitsubishi printer (more of a marking engine) that prints
24 bit color at 150 dpi using a sublimation process.  This might be
more in line with what you want; It is the kind of printer that would
make a poor choice for an existing color PostScript device, since I've
not seen a PS that will do anti-aliasing on graphics instructions (and
without it 150 dpi output is very jagged).

It is the kind of device that expects reams of data under strict
timing constraints, but I believe that it takes the data over a
centronics (almost) compatible port, so you might be able to drive it
with a 3/486 box.

- Geof
--
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com