[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Is it possible to change the TextEdit caret?

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (03/08/88)

In article <2747@encore.UUCP> tripp@encore.UUCP (Keith Tripp) writes:

>Is it possible to change the caret '|' used by the TextEdit Routines
>to a '_'?  If it is how do I go about changing it?  Any and all help
>would be greatly appreciated.

Inside Macintosh Vol. 1, page 379 deals with that.  I quote:

Assembly Language note:  The highHook and caretHook fields -- at the offsets
teHiHook and teCarHook in assembly language -- contain the addresses of
routines that deal with highlighting and the caret.  These routines pass
parameters in registers; the application must save and restore the registers.

I'll stop here because my fingers are tired :-).

Be aware that I've never used this, but since I knew it existed, I thought
I'd point it out.

						_emt