[comp.sys.mac.programmer] TMON/Mac II bug

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (03/11/88)

ever since i got a Mac II, i find TMON does not do the right
thing when attempting the Exit To Shell command in User Area.
even when i merely breakpoint and try to exit (ie: no bus
error or illegal address error occurred), it causes an
illegal address and must be rebooted.

also, reboot with eject and calls to the shutdown manager
usually fail the same way.

anyone know why?

PLEASE SEND REPLIES VIA E-MAIL. i'll post summary.

thanks.

-alan@metasoft.uucp			[uunet!metasoft!alan]

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (03/12/88)

I'll post the answers rather then mailing since I'm sure others are
interested.

In article <351@metasoft.UUCP> alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:
>ever since i got a Mac II, i find TMON does not do the right
>thing when attempting the Exit To Shell command in User Area.
>even when i merely breakpoint and try to exit (ie: no bus
>error or illegal address error occurred), it causes an
>illegal address and must be rebooted.

The problem is that many applications (including all LightspeedC built
applications) patch _ExitToShell.  However TMON's Exit To Shell user
area function jumps directly into to the ROM (I think it remebers
the ExitToShell value from when it boots up).  The solution is not
to use the user area Exit To Shell function, but instead set
the PC=!_ExitToShell in the Registers window.  This will force it
to use the correct code and all will be wonderful

>also, reboot with eject and calls to the shutdown manager
>usually fail the same way.

No ideas why, but the next version (2.8.1) is suppose to fix these.
No idea when it will be available (RSN :-).  However a work-around
that appears to work is, after selecting shutdown, to then select 0
(reboot without unmounting).  This reboots your machine as specified.
The Shutdown appears to get through all the unmounting part but gets
confused on the way to rebooting.

>-alan@metasoft.uucp			[uunet!metasoft!alan]

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant