[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Another book for beginners

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (03/03/88)

I bought this book last week, and I like the way it goes about explaining the
Macintosh.  I think it would go well with the IM volumes.

"Programmer's Introduction to the Macintosh Family"	-Apple Computers
							-Addison-Wesley
The only assumption that this book makes is that you are an experienced
programmer, but you are new at Mac programming.

Hope this helps.

PS.  Anyone know how "MPW and Assembly Language Programming For the Macintosh"
by Konick is?
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1271

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (03/08/88)

In article <1926@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> buzz@phoenix (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
>I bought this book last week, and I like the way it goes about explaining the
>Macintosh.  I think it would go well with the IM volumes.
>
>"Programmer's Introduction to the Macintosh Family"	-Apple Computers
>							-Addison-Wesley

I agree :-)

						_emt

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (03/12/88)

I'm reading "Programmer's Introduction to the Macintosh Family" from the
oposit direction" I'm very familure with the Mac but am only reasonably
fluent in Hypertalk. I find it to be understandable and very well written.
i'm trying to find out if I want to get serious about learning to program my
Mac.    Its a good book even if you are not an experianced programmer.

TeriAnn Wakeman

richard@felix.UUCP (Richard Miyasawa) (03/15/88)

In article <1926@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> buzz@phoenix (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
>I bought this book last week, and I like the way it goes about explaining the
>Macintosh.  I think it would go well with the IM volumes.
>
>"Programmer's Introduction to the Macintosh Family"	-Apple Computers
>							-Addison-Wesley
>The only assumption that this book makes is that you are an experienced
>programmer, but you are new at Mac programming.
>Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu

Another book from Apple that's good on concepts is the:

	Technical Introduction to the Macintosh Family

It gives a good general description of the Macintosh hardware and software, and
will help you to understand the IM volumes quicker.

Being a beginning Mac programmer myself, I've been looking for the
book "Programming the Mac Toolbox in C" by Huxham et. al. from Sybex.  The
book's out of print so it's hard to get a hold of.

"C Programming Techinques for the Macintosh" by Mednieks & Schilke from
Sams has a tutorial section that has been really helpful to me.

						Richard M.