[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Coral Lisp

mailnews@andante.UUCP (Henry Kautz's mailnews program) (03/15/88)

I just ported a substantial piece of software which implements a knowledge
representation system to Allegro Common Lisp, implemented by Coral Software
of Cambridge Mass.

It was one of the most painless porting jobs I've ever experienced. I
did this without looking at manuals (I hate manuals), and asking anybody
else for help. The debugger, the editor (Fred - Emacs clone) and the
listener are all seamlessly integrated, and everything works the
way you expect.

More gratifying was the performance. To load our largish knowledge base,
Coral lisp took about 390 seconds on a Mac II (8MB, 80MB hard disk,
multifinder) with about 8 seconds spent GC'ing. By comparison, our
Symbolics 3670 behemoths take about 200 seconds to load the same KB.
This gives the MacII a 10 to 1 Price/Performance advantage over the
3670.

They seem to have neat macpaint-like tools to create window interfaces,
which I haven't really played with. More on that later.

Prem Devanbu

These are solely my personal opinion, not that of my employer. This
opinion is unsolicited by any of the employees or owners of Coral Software,
none of whom, to my knowledge, I know.

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/15/88)

In article <9019@andante.UUCP> mailnews@andante.UUCP (Henry Kautz's mailnews program) writes:

>I just ported a substantial piece of software which implements a knowledge
>representation system to Allegro Common Lisp, implemented by Coral Software
>of Cambridge Mass.
>
>More gratifying was the performance. To load our largish knowledge base,
>Coral lisp took about 390 seconds on a Mac II (8MB, 80MB hard disk,
>multifinder) with about 8 seconds spent GC'ing. By comparison, our
>Symbolics 3670 behemoths take about 200 seconds to load the same KB.
>This gives the MacII a 10 to 1 Price/Performance advantage over the
>3670.

Could you please comment on the relative performance of the systems
running (after they have loaded.)?

Mark Interrante                                               CIS Department
                                                       University of Florida
Internet:  mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu                      Gainesville, FL  32611
                                                              (904) 335-8051