[comp.sys.mac.programmer] QuickerGraf ...

klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) (03/16/88)

Help!

I downloaded and de-binhexed QuickerGraf, but I can't get it to load.
To answer the obvious questions, yes, I did drag it into the
system file, and, yes, I did reboot (several times).  It still
doesn't get loaded at boot time (INIT), or show up in the control
panel (cdev).  Machine config:
	Mac 128K
	Levco 2 Meg `Monster Mac'
	ROM/Drive upgrade (128K ROMs)
	68010 processor
	CMS 80 Meg SCSI
	MultiFinder (System Tools 5.0)
	Tons of INITs -- too many to list

After I downloaded and de-hexed it, I noticed that it had a "generic"
document icon.  Checking with ResEdit, I found that the bundle bit
was not set, so I set it.  I also noticed that QuickerGraf contained
a 'cdev' resource, and an 'INIT' resource (just to confirm that they
were there).

I did try removing ALL other INITs and cdevs from my system folder,
and rebooting.  No luck.  I also tried with MultiFinder turned off.
Again, nothing.  And, I tried all combinations of above.  None of
these would get QuickerGraf to load.

Anybody got any suggestions?

adTHANKSvance

--
Karl Klashinsky                         "I shall endeavour to
University of Victoria                  function adequately."

e-mail:	{uw-beaver, ubc-vision}!uvicctr!klash

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (03/19/88)

In article <379@uvicctr.UUCP> klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) writes:
>Help!
>
>I downloaded and de-binhexed QuickerGraf, but I can't get it to load.
>panel (cdev).  Machine config:
>	Mac 128K
	Here's the problem.  QuickerGraf is a version of QuickDraw that
is optimized for the 8-bit depth case.  Thus, it only works with Color
QuickDraw.  Thus, it will only load/show up in Control Panel on a Mac II.
--
David W. Berry
dwb@Delphi	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (03/19/88)

Very simple answer: QuickerGraf is for Mac IIs and other multibit deep
display machines. It doesn't work on non Mac IIs. Toss it out, it's a waste
for your machine setup.

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems     ~
~  (408) 426-8869	   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (03/20/88)

I can imagine that QuickerGraf doesn't want to load.  You see, it only
speeds up Mac IIs in 8-bit color mode.  I don't think your machine
supports 8-bit color.  QuickerGraf can't improve the performance of
machines with black/white displays, or monochrome quickdraw.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (03/21/88)

In article <104700010@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I can imagine that QuickerGraf doesn't want to load.  You see, it only
>speeds up Mac IIs in 8-bit color mode.  I don't think your machine
>supports 8-bit color.  QuickerGraf can't improve the performance of
>machines with black/white displays, or monochrome quickdraw.

This terminology perpetuates a false rumor: QuickerGraf does
work in monochrome mode, but only 8-bit monochrome mode.  If
you have a Mac II with a monochrome monitor, QuickerGraf will
still help you.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138