[comp.sys.mac.programmer] screen memory address

dennis@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Dennis Dale) (04/13/88)

Is there a memory location or system call that I can use to find out
the address of the start of the memory mapped video RAM?  I'd like
to do some things by directly 'poking' them to RAM, which is easy
enough to do, but if I hard code the start address, it won't work on
machines of different sizes.
(I'm just an old Apple ][ hacker at heart).
--
Dennis Dale
AT&T Bell Laboratories - Naperville, IL

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (04/17/88)

In article <4396@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, dennis@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Dennis Dale) writes:

> Is there a memory location or system call that I can use to find out
> the address of the start of the memory mapped video RAM?  I'd like
> to do some things by directly 'poking' them to RAM, which is easy
> enough to do, but if I hard code the start address, it won't work on
> machines of different sizes.

  The global variable ScrnBase holds the address of the start of the main
screen buffer.  See IM II page 19 for details.

Dean Yu                             |
mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu        |  This space intentionally left blank
I'm too young to have an opinion    |