[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Making Icons!

es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Mitchell Snider) (04/17/88)

Can someone please explain in detail how to create icons for
applications?  I can change existing icons (Like the garbagecan etc.)
but I want to make my own Icon for a program I wrote.  I've been
trying lots of things with ResEdit but I just can't get it to
work....

				Eric

rajiv@orange.cis.ohio-state.edu (Rajiv Agrawal) (04/19/88)

In article <kWO3qqy00VsEUJI09m@andrew.cmu.edu> es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Mitchell Snider) writes:

>Can someone please explain in detail how to create icons for
>applications?  I can change existing icons (Like the garbagecan etc.)
>but I want to make my own Icon for a program I wrote.  I've been
>trying lots of things with ResEdit but I just can't get it to
>work....
>

>				Eric

Here is the complete  way to make icons.  Someone told me this sometime
back since I ran into the same problem:

1.  Copy BNDL, FREF, ICN# resources from some place.  I copied it from
MacsBug. I am sure Finder will do.

2.  Change the owner on BNDL resource.  Give it the name, say, eric.
3.  Create a signature resource and call it eric.  Give this resource
an id=0.
4.  Close all the resources and do a Get Info on your application and
change the owner to eric.

Save the changes and get out of ResEdit.  If you don't see your icon,
then try rebuilding the desktop.

(Since I am pretty new to Mac programming, some "gurus" can correct
me.)

Rajiv Agrawal.

-=-
206 W 18th Ave           INTERBIT: rajiv@orange.cis.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210                 agrawal-r@eng.ohio-state.edu
(614) 292-9029           BITNET: ts5600@ohstvma   DECnet: 6177::agrawal

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (04/19/88)

In article <kWO3qqy00VsEUJI09m@andrew.cmu.edu>, es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Mitchell Snider) writes:

> Can someone please explain in detail how to create icons for
> applications?  I can change existing icons (Like the garbagecan etc.)
> but I want to make my own Icon for a program I wrote.  I've been
> trying lots of things with ResEdit but I just can't get it to
> work....

   In ResEdit, if you select NEW under the File menu, and specify
ICN#, you'll be given a template for an icon, and you can make it just as
you changed other icons.

Dean Yu                             |
mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu        |  This space intentionally left blank.
I'm too young to have an opinion    |