-----

From: ack (Andy J. Williams) (ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu)

>How does one generate an EOF signal from the various types of Mac keyboards?
>
>I know the old (really old) keyboard uses the Enter key, and someone said
>the Mac II uses the Control-C combination.

It depends on what you are using.  SmartCom II terminal emulator uses CMD-.
While LightSpeed Pascal uses ENTER on the old keyboards, something weird on
the MacPlus style and something else weird on the II. If you are using
DarTerm, unix accepts ^D.

It is totally dependant on what you are using.  Every program accepts
something different for EOF.

-Andy

Andy J. Williams'90 |_   /| ACK!  |BITNET: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
HB 509 Dartmouth Clg|\`o_O'Systems|UUCP:{ihnp4,decvax,linus}!dartvax!eleazar!ack
Hanover, NH 03775   |  ( )        |DISCLAIMER: You better like my opinions,
603-643-7727        |   U  --ACK! |         my mother can beat up your mother..

-----

In article <8671@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> mark@eleazar (Mark Nowacki) writes:
> How does onegenerate an EOF signal from the various types of Mac keyboards?

The keyboard on a Macintosh generates keyboard events, rather than acting
as a file, as terminals do on Unix. Thus, the question of which character
generates an EOF is dependent on the IO package you are talking about.

For example, MPW (Macintosh Programmer's Workbench) uses Command-Enter
for EOF, Macintosh Pascal (the interpreted product created by Think for
Apple) uses the Enter key for EOF, and I use Control-D for EOF when using
a terminal program with our VAX.
--
Darin Adler, Apple Computer                          AppleLink:Adler4
UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!darin  CSNET: darin@Apple.com

-----

From: isle (Ken Hancock) (isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu)

In lightspeed pascal, if you're using v1.11 it's ENTER for a Plus/SE keyboard
or from a 512K keyboard.  If it's an older version of lightspeed, Enter
works on the old 512K keyboards, command-shift-4 works on the Plus/SE
keyboards.  As for <any> program, I think it varies.  Ctrl-D often works
for some (at least in unix).

Ken

-----

I hope this helps anyone who was wondering...

---
Mark Nowacki '88                     "Lovely to see you again, my friend!
Dartmouth College                     Walk along with me to the next bend..."
                                             - The Moody Blues
uucp   ...!linus!dartvax!eleazar!mark
othernets  mark@eleazar.dartmouth.edu       Just say fieyrnt!     8^)

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (04/21/88)

I have posted a fixed version of the MacPasLib standard library for
Lightspeed Pascal that fixes the problem with EOF signalling; now,
you can use the Enter key from *any* Macintosh keyboard (old style,
Plus, Apple Standard, Apple Extended, whatever) to signal EOF.

This is in comp.binaries.mac and also the <info-mac> director on
sumex.stanford.edu.

	--Rich

Rich Siegel
THINK Technologies