[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Recommendations solicited for Mac Pascal compiler

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (04/25/88)

Not looking for anything in-depth here, but can anyone give a
recommendation for a Pascal compiler for the Macintosh?  Only two real
requirements:

1)  Symbolic Debugger
2)  Ability to do HyperCard XCFN code.

This is for a novice (really novice) programmer (I know, I know, I've
warned him...), so the easier the documentation, the better.

Appreciate any advice.  Me, I've got Lightspeed C, and am looking forward
to LSC 3.0...

                        "Success covers a multitude of blunders."
                                 -- Corporate motto of Microsoft

                               [Actually, it was George Bernard Shaw]

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Darrell LeBlanc) (04/25/88)

In article <3539@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Not looking for anything in-depth here, but can anyone give a
>recommendation for a Pascal compiler for the Macintosh?  Only two real
>requirements:
>
>1)  Symbolic Debugger
>2)  Ability to do HyperCard XCFN code.
>
>This is for a novice (really novice) programmer (I know, I know, I've
>warned him...), so the easier the documentation, the better.

	I'm biased, but Lightspeed Pascal is definitely the way to go.
It has a source-level symbolic debugger, with the ability
to set breakpoints, view expressions and data via an Observe
window, and execute code in context with an Instant window. LightspBug gives
a view into the machine, with panes for stack crawl, variable display,
registers, and heap crawl. We also have interfaces available for writing
HyperCard externals - Lightspeed Pascal can be used to
write applications, Desk Accessories, or code resources of any flavor.

	For a novice programmer (like I was when I got it), Lightspeed
Pascal is excellent.

>Appreciate any advice.  Me, I've got Lightspeed C, and am looking forward
>to LSC 3.0...

	Ditto. :-)

Like I said, I'm biased because I work at THINK Technologies, but I was
a satisfied user of Lightspeed Pascal before I was hired....

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
THINK Technologies

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Darrell LeBlanc) (04/25/88)

And another thing... Lightspeed Pascal is written by the same people
who did Macintosh Pascal, so if your friend is using Mac Pascal now, he can
transplant his programs to Lightspeed Pascal with a minimum of work.

R.