[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Programmer's Extender vs. MacExpress...

jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (05/01/88)

Has anyone had any experience with Programmer's Extender or MacExpress or
any of these COMMERCIAL generic application/apptools kinds of products?  I
am assuming that they are like enhanced versions of transskel with more
functionality and the like.  I enjoy transskel/edit/display/blob, but there
are things i'd like to do that they can't and which bomb when I work on them.
For me, getting the programs done is more important than really understanding
the innards of the Mac II.  Oh, by the way, are they both Mac II compatible?

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (05/05/88)

In article <1146@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with Programmer's Extender or MacExpress or
>any of these COMMERCIAL generic application/apptools kinds of products?  I
I purchased programmer's extender (Invention Software), both volumes I and
II, to help me develope a relatively simple application. After spending
several frustrating days tracting down bugs in Invention Software's code, I
decided that I would have been better off without it. There were several
bugs, some of which would not allow procedures to work at all, others
would cause data loss to the user of your program. One by one I abandoned
their code and wrote my own procedures. (In that sense, it's a good
learning environment!) They don't give you all of the sources, so I
wa lucky that the bugs didn't show up in compiled code (although they
may yet). Now my app is about 5% Invention's code, and if I ever do
a major rewrite, I will purge all of it out.

>Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
>jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
>jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853