[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Source code library idea!

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (04/20/88)

I have been hacking away on my SE HD20 since June, exclusively in Lightspeed C.

My main goal was to learn *how to* program the Mac to do all sorts of stuff,
rather than to implement one particular pet application.

As a result, I now have quite a stockpile of well-commented (I *like* comments! :-) )
LSC source code.  Most of it I *didn't* originate.  Instead, I found source code
from all over the place and either ported it from another dialect of C or else ported
it from Pascal, or else just added comments to it.  A lot of it is from MacTutor.
I also have copies of all the TransSkel stuff.

Is anyone interested in starting a source code library?  I.e., an anonymous-ftp'able
machine which *only* has BinHexed StuffIted source code examples....  I could set up
one on my machine, but I don't want to be redundant.  Does one already exist?
(Yes, I know about SUMEX but that's not what I had in mind).  Also, could I get into
legal problems (e.g., like if I post source code that I got from MacTutor)?!?!?!?!?!

Please let me know if you are for/against this idea, or if you have any suggestions.

P.S. If I do start this library, I guess contributions would be made by mailing me a
     BinHex/StuffIt file, which I would then add to the ftp directory.

-Ted Johnson

jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (05/01/88)

In article <730024@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
> I have been hacking away on my SE HD20 since June, exclusively in Lightspeed C.
> My main goal was to learn *how to* program the Mac to do all sorts of stuff,
> rather than to implement one particular pet application.
>
> As a result, I now have quite a stockpile of well-commented (I *like* comments! :-) )
> LSC source code.  Most of it I *didn't* originate.  Instead, I found source code
> from all over the place and either ported it from another dialect of C or else ported
> it from Pascal, or else just added comments to it.  A lot of it is from MacTutor.
> I also have copies of all the TransSkel stuff.
>
> Is anyone interested in starting a source code library?  I.e., an anonymous-ftp'able
> machine which *only* has BinHexed StuffIted source code examples....  I could set up
> one on my machine, but I don't want to be redundant.  Does one already exist?

I love this idea!  just a place for source!  The problem with SUMEX is that
you have to wade through stuff to find the smidgens of source in it.  An ftp
site with just source code would be a godsend!  Let's get on this!

As far as posting source listed in a magazine, I don't think you can get sued
unless you sell it, provided you list the copyright notices in the source code.
(However, I'm no lwayer, so take it with a grain of saltpeter).

The biggest drawback for learning to program the mac is the relative lack of
source examples in the relevant languages.  You see, I don't know
pascal, and although it is fairly easy to xlate to C, it is more of a
bother
than I normally  have time to do.

Anyway, even if this ftp site never get set up, I'd appreciate looking
at the code you've got.

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

jmm@thoth25.berkeley.edu (05/04/88)

I like the idea of a source code library, but why do you want to have
it in Stuffed/Binned format?  If you just want to look at the code,
it would be much easier not to have to download it to a Mac.  I would
also assume that most people have much faster/better printers available
from their Unix accounts.  If people want to compile the code, then
they have to download it, but it doesn't seem like there's any point
in forcing people to spend large amounts of time downloading plain text
files.

James Moore				| Nil aon fhocal maith le cur sios
jmm@bartleby.berkeley.edu		| agam anseo inniu.
#airigh "leithsceal caighdeanach"	|

u-lchoqu%peeler.utah.edu.uucp@utah-cs.UUCP (Lee Choquette) (05/10/88)

The Simtel moderator, Robert Thum <RTHUM@SIMTEL20.ARPA>, likes the idea
of creating a source subdirectory.  As for how the sources should be
stored, in article <9561@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> jmm@bartleby.berkeley.edu
(James Moore) writes:

	I like the idea of a source code library, but why do you want to
	have it in Stuffed/Binned format?  If you just want to look at
	the code, it would be much easier not to have to download it to
	a Mac.  I would also assume that most people have much
	faster/better printers available from their Unix accounts.

True, but how should multiple files be packaged?  Many programs consists
of several source files.  A proliferation of TOPS-20 subdirectories
would be a nightmare for everyone involved, and shell archives could be
unpacked only by people running Unix.

Once we resolve this question, I have a few megabytes of Mac source code
collected from various sources (including comp.sources.mac) with which
to start the archive.
--
Lee Choquette				u-lchoqu@ug.utah.edu
University of Utah Computer Center	utah-gr!utah-ug!u-lchoqu

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (05/13/88)

I am the person who started this source code library discussion.

Unfortunately my USENET feed got cut off right after I posted it
(and stayed cut off for 2 1/2 weeks!  :-(  ), so I haven't been
able to follow the discussion.

Could someone please mail me all the replies to my original
basenote?

-Ted Johnson

P.S.  The reasons for having the files in BinHex/StuffIt format
      are:
	       (1)so binary files (i.e., LSC project files and
	          resource files) can be stored in an ascii format

	       (2)to conserve disk space, and to make downloading
                  time (via modem) quicker

	       (3)to package multiple files into a coherent unit