[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Books on using Mac Toolbox and OS from Lightspeed C

aid@k.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff North) (05/21/88)

Afer buying LightSpeed C, it didn't take me long to realize that if
I want to do anything interesting, I need to know more about the
ToolBox and OS and how it is used from C.

Can anyone recommend a book that would help me to use the ToolBox and OS
routines from C?  Is "Inside Macintosh" an indispensible book or can a
book from one of the other publishers suffice?  What is covered in
"Inside Macintosh"?

Lastly, on a totally irrelevant point, what does "MPW" stand for?  I have
seen it used hundreds of times and no one I have talked with knows what
what it means.

Jeff North
aid@k.cc.purdue.edu

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/22/88)

>Afer buying LightSpeed C, it didn't take me long to realize that if
>I want to do anything interesting, I need to know more about the
>ToolBox and OS and how it is used from C.

There isn't a book specifically for LightSpeed C (a fact I find amazing,
personally. I actually looked at writing one, but I don't have time).

The best you can do is pick up a Mac book for another C compiler -- in
general, the translation problems are minimal. Two I recommend are Using the
Mac Toolbox with C (Sybex, Takastsuka/Huxahm/Burnard) and C Programming
techniques for the Macintosh (Sams, Mednieks/Schilke).

>Can anyone recommend a book that would help me to use the ToolBox and OS
>routines from C?  Is "Inside Macintosh" an indispensible book or can a
>book from one of the other publishers suffice?  What is covered in
>"Inside Macintosh"?

For general introductions of the Mac toolbox, the best reference is
Chernickoffs Macintosh Revealed series (Hayden). It can replace Inside Mac
for many programmers, at least until you get into the more complex areas of
the Mac.

>Lastly, on a totally irrelevant point, what does "MPW" stand for?  I have
>seen it used hundreds of times and no one I have talked with knows what
>what it means.

Macintosh Programmers Workshop.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

	Robert A. Heinlein: 1907-1988. He will never truly die as long as we
                           read his words and speak his name. Rest in Peace.

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (05/22/88)

In article <2509@k.cc.purdue.edu> aid@k.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff North) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a book that would help me to use the ToolBox and OS
>routines from C?  Is "Inside Macintosh" an indispensible book or can a
>book from one of the other publishers suffice?  What is covered in
>"Inside Macintosh"?

   Inside Macintosh is indespensible for any serious programing on the
Macintosh.  It covers "all" of the calls provided by the roms, and the
system file, and has several interesting things to say about the do's and
don't of programming the Macintosh.
	Vol 1-3   Covers the basics of All Macintosh computers 64K Rom's
	Vol 4     Covers the extension's to the Macintosh Plus 128K Rom's
	Vol 5	  Covers the extension's made to the Macintosh II & SE.

   As far a a good book on programming the Macintosh in C, I've seen some, but
haven't had the chance to review any of them.  But buy Inside Macintosh if you
want to program the Macintosh.

>Lastly, on a totally irrelevant point, what does "MPW" stand for?  I have

   Macintosh Programmer's WorkShop {MPW}.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (05/22/88)

>Can anyone recommend a book that would help me to use the ToolBox and OS
>routines from C?

I would highly recommend "Using the Macintosh Toolbox with C", by Jim
Takatsuka, Fred Huxham, and David Burnard, (SYBEX, c. 1986). It is the
best book I have seen, by far.  Unfortunately  it seems to be out of
print.  Also, the C the book was written using Consulair Mac C, which
differs slightly from Lightspeed C.  I have translated most of the
example programs though, so if you have trouble I could help you out.

>Is "Inside Macintosh" an indispensible book or can a
I think so.

>What is covered in "Inside Macintosh"?

This is the official documentation of the 700+ subroutines in ROM that
your programs call.

>Lastly, on a totally irrelevant point, what does "MPW" stand for?  I have
Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.  It is Apple's official Mac software
development system.

-Ted

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (05/23/88)

Inside Macintosh is essential.  Read the original material, not the
watered down retellings like "Macintosh Revealed".  Inside Macintosh is
not a tutorial, but a reference.  As long as that is understood, it is
highly useful.

For a tutorial, try the new volumes by Addison-Wesley: "The Programmer's
Introduction to the Macintosh" and "A Technical Introduction to the
Macintosh" or something like that.  They are not outstanding, but are
OK.

MPW stands for Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.  It is described in
detail in the May issue of IEEE Software, and will also be described in
a special Macintosh Doctor Dobb's Journal article coming out around June
15th or so.  The whole issue is about the Mac, and is not the standard
monthly Dr. Dobb's issue.

Dan Allen
Software Explorer
Apple Computer