[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Source-level debugging

alcmist@well.UUCP (Frederick Wamsley) (05/22/88)

In article <2729@polyslo.UUCP> dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) writes:
>  I think one of the RUMORED features of MPW 3.0 will be souce level debugging.
More than a rumor.  Apple showed the MPW source-level debugger, SADE, at
last month's developer's conference.  It has a user interface like the
MPW Shell, a built-in programming language for doing complicated things
at breakpoints, and (if I remember right) formatted displays of data
structures.
--
Fred Wamsley  {dual,hplabs}!well!alcmist;well!alcmist@lll-crg.arpa;
CIS 72247,3130; GEnie FKWAMSLEY;ATT Mail fwamsley; USPS - why bother?

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (05/23/88)

In article <6010@well.UUCP> alcmist@well.UUCP (Frederick Wamsley) writes:
>More than a rumor.  Apple showed the MPW source-level debugger, SADE, at
>last month's developer's conference.  It has a user interface like the
>MPW Shell, a built-in programming language for doing complicated things

   Fantastic!! Any Idea's about when it will be released to the general
public, and does it have to compile down to larger code which runs slower
when you want to the do the symbolic debugging, or did they come up with
some neat way of doing so that you don't have to worry about if your going to
be debugging it.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (05/23/88)

SADE originally stood for "Standard Apple Debugging Environment" but now
stands for something like "Symbolic Application Debugging Environment".
It does exist, but will NOT replace MacsBug.  It can't, because it
requires MultiFinder and 512K of its own RAM, so stock up on RAM.  It is
based on MPW 2.0 Shell sources, so it is VERY much like the MPW Shell.
It looks pretty spiffy I suppose, but I'll keep using MacsBug myself...
After all, everyone should understand the native language that their
machine speaks....

Dan Allen
Software Explorer
Apple Computer

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (05/24/88)

In article <10893@apple.Apple.Com> dan@apple.UUCP (Dan Allen) writes:
>After all, everyone should understand the native language that their
>machine speaks....

   Why?  What if you use more than one machine.  I currently have to program
on at least 4 different machines a week.  I thought that this is what high
level languages were for!  So that people don't have to know the particulars
about a specific machine!
   I suppose that I should write my own OS also, so that I *really* understand
what's going on.

fantisy, but I don't think it should be a requirement.

--

tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) (05/27/88)

In article <2823@polyslo.UUCP> dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) writes:
>In article <10893@apple.Apple.Com> dan@apple.UUCP (Dan Allen) writes:
>>After all, everyone should understand the native language that their
>>machine speaks....
>
>   Why?  What if you use more than one machine.  I currently have to program
>on at least 4 different machines a week.  I thought that this is what high
>level languages were for!

Presumably Dan meant that as a general statement (most declaratives are
general, including this one :-), because generally most developers work
on one machine (family) type.  Knowing the "native" language of the machine
you are on can help you do some short cuts that "higher" level languages
are not implemented to make. For example, if you want to directly manipulate
the current stack frame, there is no way to do it from C.

--
Tom Kimpton                    UUCP: {ihnp4,uunet,caeco,nrc-ut}!iconsys!ron
Software Development Engineer  ARPANET: icon%byuadam.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

sys_ms@bmc1.uu.se (05/30/88)

In article <10893@apple.Apple.Com>, dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
> SADE originally stood for "Standard Apple Debugging Environment" but now
> stands for something like "Symbolic Application Debugging Environment".
> It does exist, but will NOT replace MacsBug.  It can't, because it
> requires MultiFinder and 512K of its own RAM, so stock up on RAM.  It is
> based on MPW 2.0 Shell sources, so it is VERY much like the MPW Shell.
> It looks pretty spiffy I suppose, but I'll keep using MacsBug myself...
> After all, everyone should understand the native language that their
> machine speaks....

	Is it available now? Where? How much?

		Mats Sundvall
		University of Uppsala
		Sweden

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/01/88)

Regarding availability of SADE (Standard Apple Debugging Environment or
whatever it means today) and of MacsBug 6.0 are as follows:

	MacsBug 6.0 B1 - Available now through APDA (I'm told)

	SADE - Available this year, later, hopefully.  Definitely not
		now.

	MPW 3.0 - Same as SADE.

Sorry I cannot be more specific, but that's life with big projects like
MPW.  For the record, the MPW group is now almost 50 engineers!  Quite a
bunch of engineering going on.  It was a bit much for me, so I left to
join the HyperCard engineering team: 4 people.  That's more my size...

Dan Allen
Software Explorer
Apple Computer