[comp.sys.mac.programmer] New System icon

john@dcc1.UUCP (John Cothran) (05/16/88)

  If you have seen this before, please excuse me, our system has been having
alot of trouble getting postings onto the net, this is a second attempt...

  As everyone knows, the current System, Finder, and many releated OS files
bear the same icon they appeared with in the first version of the Mac's OS.

  The Macintosh has since evolved and multiplied. We can now use any of three
seperate machines, each with its own unique case (the 128,512,and 512ke all
sharing the Plus' case). While the single drive, one piece Mac will always be
remembered fondly, it will never again be the one and only shape for Macintosh.

  How many people would like to see the original Mac icon remain?

  Does anyone have any suggestions for an all encompasing Mac icon?

  How about the people at Apple? Could you tell us what might happen w/ System
6.0 or later?

  What about different icons on each machine (I realize that this could cause
some problems for new users who wouldn't know wheather or not the System file
that looked like an SE should be booted on a Plus or a II)?

  Replies, comments, objextions, and briliant suggestions welocome and
appreciated.

=Charles D. Menser             !         seismo!gatech!dcc1!menser=
=Atlanta, Georgia              !         menser@dcc1              =
="The Greeks may have invented it, but we didn't upload it..."    =

keith@uhccux.UUCP (Keith Kinoshita) (05/16/88)

In article <340@dcc1.UUCP> john@dcc1.UUCP (John Cothran) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>  What about different icons on each machine (I realize that this could cause
>some problems for new users who wouldn't know wheather or not the System file
>that looked like an SE should be booted on a Plus or a II)?

	Why complicate the system both visually and as a matter of
programming simplicity for something as dubious as a visual representation for
hardware recognition? I thought the whole idea of the Mac environment was
to hide the hardware level, and make everything as simple as possible.
	Come to think of it, Apple should have standardized a CDEV and
an INIT icon for the mac as well.
--
Keith Kinoshita
INTERNET: keith@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU         ARPA:  uhccux!keith@nosc.MIL

holland@ti-csl.CSNET (Fred Hollander) (05/17/88)

Apple is sharpening it's image as it targets businesses and government.  The
newest Mac's don't have signatures on the case and look more like a generic PC
(although still more appealling than IBM or Amiga - couldn't resist that :-)).
Do you want an icon that looks like a PC?  Let's not start a trend that will
result in abandoning the old spirit.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/20/88)

  I don't mind the so far almost "standard" mac... Rather simple, and plain.

  I hated those "outline" system files awhile back.  I usually mutilated
them into "normal" icons...

  I wish they DID have a standard, all encompassing system icon...

thecloud@pnet06.cts.com (Ken Mcleod) (05/21/88)

 Actually, the idea of having separate icons for each machine-optimized
version of the System file isn't bad. Remember, if you use the Installer
or otherwise get rid of certain PTCH's and other machine-specific
resources, the System file will be 'different'...of course, you'd need
to come up with different Finder filetypes for each ICN#...

Ken McLeod
La Habra, CA

UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!thecloud
ARPA: crash!pnet06!thecloud@nosc.mil
INET: thecloud@pnet06.cts.com

adail@pnet06.cts.com (Alan Dail) (05/21/88)

in message 3415, Keith Kinoshita
writes
>Come to think of it, Apple should have standardized a CDEV and
>an INIT icon for the mac as well.

no, no, no, no, no.
The whole point of having Icons is that the visual representation
makes it easier to find the file you want easier than having to
read the text.  The icon is supposed to represent what the cdev/init
does.  the contol panel would be much more difficult to use if all icons
were the same.  You dont want all applications and documents to have the
same icon do you?  It would be nice, however, if the Finder would tell
you a file was an init, control panel document, chooser document, etc. when
you do a view by type or get info.

alan dail

UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!adail
ARPA: crash!pnet06!adail@nosc.mil
INET: adail@pnet06.cts.com

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (05/25/88)

In article <183@hodge.UUCP> thecloud@pnet06.cts.com (Ken Mcleod) writes:

> Actually, the idea of having separate icons for each
>machine-optimized version of the System file isn't bad. Remember, if
>you use the Installer or otherwise get rid of certain PTCH's and
>other machine-specific resources, the System file will be
>'different'...of course, you'd need to come up with different Finder
>filetypes for each ICN#...

System tools 6.0 has "mini-installer" scripts that install the system
software for specific hardware.  The notes don't say anything about a
different icon, but they do say that the system will alert you if you
try to boot it on an inappropriate machine.  I haven't tried it (I
just got it yesterday), but it sounds like that should be enough to
avoid confusing the user.

BTW, the cover letter refers to "the enclosed tech notes and change
history" and the enclosed change history refers to "the attached tech
note" repeatedly.  But, I didn't find any tech note(s) enclosed.  Did
anyone?  Or is it being mailed separately?

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

In article <184@hodge.UUCP> adail@pnet06.cts.com (Alan Dail) writes:
>It would be nice, however, if the Finder would tell
>you a file was an init, control panel document, chooser document, etc. when
>you do a view by type or get info.

It does, starting in Finder 6.1.  System tools 6.0 have already been
distributed to developers and should be at your dealer any minute now.
Inits are called "Startup Documents" and cdevs are called, er,
something appropriate that escapes me right now.  (I'm typing on a
Sun, not a Mac.)  The new system also supports "vers" resources that
describe versions in a standard way for display by the Finder.

ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragnar Sundblad) (05/28/88)

In article <184@hodge.UUCP> adail@pnet06.cts.com (Alan Dail) writes:
>no, no, no, no, no.
>The whole point of having Icons is that the visual representation
>makes it easier to find the file you want easier than having to
>read the text.  The icon is supposed to represent what the cdev/init
>does.

no, no, no, no, no and yes
The file icon is supposed to represent what the *FILE* does/contains.
Just like the document icon and the application icon there should be
an init icon, cdev icon, rdev icon, etc, etc.

palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) (06/02/88)

In article <373@draken.nada.kth.se>, ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragnar Sundblad) writes:
> In article <184@hodge.UUCP> adail@pnet06.cts.com (Alan Dail) writes:
> >no, no, no, no, no.
> >The whole point of having Icons is that the visual representation
> >makes it easier to find the file you want easier than having to
> >read the text.  The icon is supposed to represent what the cdev/init
> >does.
>
> no, no, no, no, no and yes
> The file icon is supposed to represent what the *FILE* does/contains.
> Just like the document icon and the application icon there should be
> an init icon, cdev icon, rdev icon, etc, etc.

I fail to see why these two purposes should be at odds.  All commercial
applications I know of use custom icons for both the application
and document files.  Generally, they each depict very clearly whether a
file is an application or a document.
Of course, it might be helpful if a default {init,cdev,rdev} icon
existes, just as default icons exist for applications and vanilla documents.
The default icons, while functional, are uglier than sin.

Johan Larson