[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Lightspeed C 3.0?

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (05/28/88)

So what has happened to LSC (Lightspeed C) 3.0?  There was a premature
release announcement, but that is over with.  The last time I heard a
prediction, it was said the compiler would be ready in April or May (I
think).  Has there been some kind of technical snare-up?

I'm not asking for a release date, but perhaps a vague crystal-ball
prediction, or explanation of the difficulties.  Enquiring minds want
to know.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (05/29/88)

In article <104700022@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>So what has happened to LSC (Lightspeed C) 3.0?  There was a premature
>release announcement, but that is over with.  The last time I heard a

	That wasn't a premature announcement, that was an ad placed without
authorization. There *is* a difference.

>prediction, it was said the compiler would be ready in April or May (I
>think).  Has there been some kind of technical snare-up?

	No, not at all. The prediction was (as are most predictions) wrong,
that's all.

	How does mid-summer sound? Is that perhaps vague enough?

		-Rich

Rich Siegel
Quality Assurance Technician
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (05/31/88)

>>prediction, it was said the compiler would be ready in April or May (I
>>think).  Has there been some kind of technical snare-up?
>
>	No, not at all. The prediction was (as are most predictions) wrong,
>that's all.
>

>	How does mid-summer sound? Is that perhaps vague enough?
>
>		-Rich

I hate VAPORWARE......

			-lee

----
Lee Atchison
Hewlett Packard, Business Networks Division
Cupertino, CA 95014
atchison%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (06/03/88)

In article <7390009@hpindda.HP.COM>, atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) writes:
> >>prediction, it was said the compiler would be ready in April or May (I
> >>think).  Has there been some kind of technical snare-up?
> >
> >	No, not at all. The prediction was (as are most predictions) wrong,
> >that's all.
> >

> >	How does mid-summer sound? Is that perhaps vague enough?
> >
> >		-Rich
>
> I hate VAPORWARE......
>
> 			-lee

Hmmph.

This reminds me of a story about a consumer protection agency and a
corporation whose computers had gone down due to blizzards one winter.  To
be brief, the irony (idiocy?) was that instead of going after the hundreds
and hundreds of cases of frauds and cheats, it decided to prosecute this
corporation on a technicality, even though the company was doing everything
it could (shipping letters explaining and apologizing about the mess,
working double-time to fix the problem, etc.) to keep customers happy.

In the same vein, THINK/Symantec is getting flak for something it doesn't
at all deserve.  They are helpful, they have good-quality products, and
even have a friendly rep (unofficial, of course) on the net.  I can't
think of another vendor that does any better.

Vaporware is something announced to be released yet hasn't been.  As far
as I know, THINK has not announced ANYTHING about the new Lightspeeds, and
for good reason, too, considering the public's view of the now-resolved
FullWrite issue.  This should be very apparent from the hesitation Rich
Siegel puts in his current article, as well as his past USENET articles.
I don't know where you got the release date, possibly some swami, or worse,
in some magazine's rumor column.  Certainly no release dates have come
from THINK.

I guess I may have taken the one-line comment you made rather harshly, but
then again:

I hate VAPORHEADS......

					--chris

--
J. Chris Cooley                  |     husc6! -\
Computation. Center (COM 1)      |      im4u! -->-ut-sally!ut-emx!jcc

Disclaimer:  UT and Me: We don't have the same opinions.