[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Inside Macintosh 5

palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) (06/01/88)

Could anyone out there tell me what is covered in IM5?
Does it have any relevance to programming the Mac Plus?
Does it have any info regrading Multifinder?

Johan Larson

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (06/01/88)

In article <7136@watdragon.waterloo.edu> palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) writes:

>Could anyone out there tell me what is covered in IM5?
>Does it have any relevance to programming the Mac Plus?
>Does it have any info regarding Multifinder?

IM V is primarily about features which were introduced with the Mac SE
and Mac II.  The largest single item is color, which applies only to
the Mac II.  Many of the other features discussed are now available on
the Mac Plus via patches in the system software.  I believe this
includes the Resource Manager, Font Manager, Toolbox Event Manager,
Menu Manager, TextEdit, International Utilities Package, Script
Manager, Control Panel, Start Manager, File Manager Extensions,
Printing Manager, Disk Driver, AppleTalk Manager, System Error
Handler, and Shutdown Manager as described in IM V.  Also, System
Tools 6.0 provides the Mac SE and Mac Plus with the same Sound Manager
features as the Mac II.

IM V does not discuss Multifinder, which was first announced about six
months after draft publication of IM V.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (06/02/88)

|Could anyone out there tell me what is covered in IM5?

Inside Macintosh covers all the new features as of System 5.0.  This includes
TextEdit with styles/fonts/etc, the Script Manager (support non-Roman
characters/writing styles such as Hebrew, Arbic, etc.), CDEVs (control
panel extensions), File Manager in a shared enviroment, the new printing
manager, changes to the menu manager for heirarchical and pop-up menus
and, of course, all the color Mac II stuff.  If you are running System
5.0, then all the abvove except the Mac II stuff is patched into your system

--
Jerry Whitnell
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/02/88)

Inside Mac volumes 4 and 5 are delta volumes, covering the changes and
additions found in post Classic Macs.  Volume 4 covers Mac Plus stuff,
and a great deal of the material covers HFS.  Volume 5 covers the
additions for the SE and Mac II, with a good chunk of the material
covering Color, Slot Manager, etc.  UNFORTUNATELY, the MultiFinder
stuff, which can potentially effect all post Classic Macs, is not
covered in any volume of Inside Macintosh.  Material on MultiFinder is
covered in several draft type documents (perhaps available from APDA),
but does need to eventually find its way into Inside Macintosh.

By the way, for those that didn't know, all of Inside Mac is being
rewritten, with an OS Volume, a ToolBox volume, and perhaps more.  (I
can't recall all the details.)  These new revised volumes will contain
everything in 1-5, but in a better order.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) (06/03/88)

In article <11436@apple.Apple.Com>, dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
> By the way, for those that didn't know, all of Inside Mac is being
> rewritten, with an OS Volume, a ToolBox volume, and perhaps more.  (I
> can't recall all the details.)  These new revised volumes will contain
> everything in 1-5, but in a better order.

I hope they're published as looseleaf sections, otherwise the "delta
volume" business will reappear.

Charlie Allen			cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu