[comp.sys.mac.programmer] FullWrite index for Tech Notes

lipa@POLYA.STANFORD.EDU (William Lipa) (06/03/88)

Only the index is in FullWrite format, presumably because MacWrite does not
have an indexing facility. Why they do not just cut and paste their FullWrite
generated index into MacWrite I do not know.

Bill Lipa
lipa%polya@forsythe.stanford.edu

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/03/88)

In article <CMM.0.86.581311228.lipa@polya.stanford.edu> lipa@POLYA.STANFORD.EDU (William Lipa) writes:
>Only the index is in FullWrite format, presumably because MacWrite does not
>have an indexing facility. Why they do not just cut and paste their FullWrite
>generated index into MacWrite I do not know.

 I think some one at Apple just wanted to play with FWP.

 Has anyone looked at the indes.  They didn't use the indexing feature of
FWP to do it.  Try get info and you will see a whole bunch of keystrokes, and
a fair amount of time invested.  Besides to use the indexing of FWP you have
to include the text you're indexing.  It's also in multi-column format and
has tab leaders, you can't do either of these in MacWrite or plain text files.

 Despite all of these wonderful reasons I still think it was because someone
at Apple likes FWP and decided to use it for a "real world" project, ala...
indexing the Mac Tech Notes.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

khayo@sonia.UUCP (06/03/88)

In article <CMM.0.86.581311228.lipa@polya.stanford.edu> lipa@POLYA.STANFORD.EDU (William Lipa) writes:
 >Only the index is in FullWrite format, presumably because MacWrite does not
Thanks; it was stupid not to look at the rest - but it didn't occur
to me that they could be so inconsistent.
                                                       Eric

LaserMan@cup.portal.com (06/05/88)

I would suggest not flaming Apple for the techNote index but the poster to the
net. The distribution disks I recieved from Apple came with the index in the
following formats...Text, MacWrite, and FullWrite. Each format a little nicer
than the last. The poster should have supplied the text version or all three.
Apple has not done the distribution in only on new format.
Bob Murrow
Bob_Murrow@cup.portal.com
LaserMan@cup.portal.com
SYSOP PhoneixII and III BBS 408-253-3926
RDMURROW on GEnie
74176,251 on CI$