[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Another SFPutFile question...

mikek@hpvcla.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) (06/07/88)

Hi,

If or when you get a reponse from someone on the SFPut
question, will you please forward me a reply? I have a
similar need in addition to adding a prompt string to
SFGetFile.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Kirkpatrick ihnp4!hpfcla!hpvcla!mikek

steele@Apple.COM (Oliver Steele) (06/08/88)

STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) writes:
>I have a question about using SFPutFile and custom dialog boxes. I want the
>user to be able to select a file type before saving a file, so I added several
>radio buttons to the bottom of the normal SFPutFile dialog box. I put the new
>DLOG and DITL into my application and everthing shows up great. The problem is
>none of the radio buttons are initially hilighted. [trials and tribulations...]

The best place to handle initialization of controls in the SFPutFile
dialog is in the dlgHook, in response to a firstTime (-1) message.

>Please e-mail responses to me directly if possible. Pascal source code would be
>appreciated if you have it. Thanks.

Sorry; mail from here is temporarily broken, as far as I'm concerned, and
I don't feel like fighting it right now.  I'll post some C if there's
interest.

mikek@hpvcla.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) writes:
]If or when you get a reponse from someone on the SFPut
]question, will you please forward me a reply? I have a
]similar need in addition to adding a prompt string to
]SFGetFile.

You don't need this kind of fire power to add a prompt string.
The simplest thing is to copy DLOG and DITL -3999 from the System
file into your application and then ResEdit the DITL to add an
inert static text item as a prompt, and probably to grow the DLOG
a bit and move stuff around to make room for it.

If want to do this a little more cleanly, and not mess up the
DA or FKEY that doesn't bracket its SFPutFile's with UseResFile
to avoid borrowing yours, give the DLOG a new number and use
SFPutFile(...,new number,nil);

Or, if you want to go with the crowd, just put up a dialog with
the prompt string BEHIND (and before) the SFPutFile box.  (I think
somebody posted this suggestion recently, but all this is starting
to run together....)

Sorry my examples aren't more concrete, but I don't have a resource
decompiler.

 Oliver Steele						steele@apple.com
 Apple ATG

 Disclaimer:  This isn't official.