[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Desktop Manager

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/08/88)

In my previous posting about using the Desktop Manager, I forgot to say
that there are two slight problems:

	a)	Make sure you hold down CMD OPTION on the disk to
		rebuild the Desktop DB and Desktop DF files, so that
		all of your ICONs are around and files launch properly
		in the Finder.

	b)	The only real Gotcha with using the Desktop Manager is
		that the Finder will not properly close the two Desktop
		files, thus NOT allowing you to unmount a disk that
		contains these files.  If you have a single hard disk
		Mac system, this is not a problem, as you will never
		be unmounting the startup disk.  But if any other hard
		disk comes along, the Desktop Manager will create the
		two Desktop files and once they are there and open these
		files stay open until you do a shutdown.  This can be
		a minor inconvience, but doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I do not recommend the causual man in the street using the Desktop
Manager, but for the knowledgeable power user, it can really increase
performance.  Without it, updating the Desktop file on an 80MB hard disk
with 3000 files can take much longer than the actual file copy.  With
it, the Desktop gets updated in an instant.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

mday@cgl.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (06/09/88)

In article <11796@Apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM.UUCP (Dan Allen) writes:
>I do not recommend the causual man in the street using the Desktop
>Manager, but for the knowledgeable power user, it can really increase
>performance.  Without it, updating the Desktop file on an 80MB hard disk
>with 3000 files can take much longer than the actual file copy.  With
>it, the Desktop gets updated in an instant.

What is the recommendation for owner's of large (> 100 meg) disks?

How likely is it that the limit on the number of resources in the Desktop
file will cause my 140 Meg hard disk to crash?

Finally, how many files can I safely have on a hard disk before it is time
to worry?

Yes, I do have all of my data backed up, but a reformat and full restore
is just below watching a Laverne and Shirley marathon on my list of
favorite ways to spend my time.

----------
		Mark Day
UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		mday@ucsfcgl.BITNET

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/10/88)

I use the Desktop Manager on an 80MB drive.  It improves my life.  I
don't know if the problem with mounting (and not being about to unmount)
other hard disks is a problem for people.

I have heard that the Resource Manager has a problem with more than 2100
(approximately) resources in a file.  Do you have more than 2100
different BNDLs with their own ICONs?  I know that large collections of
public domain software have problems being mastered on CD-ROM because of
this, so something is going to have to be done officially at some time,
but as to who and when and where and how, I do not have a clue.

Actually, now that I think about it, if the limit is 2100 some-odd
resources, then that's actually only about 900 some-odd apps...

I am certainly not the authority on the Desktop Manager.  I am just a
mere (and very casual) user. I therefore guarantee nothing.

Have a nice day.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (06/12/88)

In article <11915@apple.Apple.COM> dan@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Dan Allen) writes:

>Actually, now that I think about it, if the limit is 2100 some-odd
>resources, then that's actually only about 900 some-odd apps...

The limit is 2727 resources.  But, a minimal bundle has *four*
resources, not two: the BNDL, FREF, ICN#, and signature resources.
Add one FREF and one ICN# for each document type, so many applications
have six resources in their bundle and a few have more.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"