[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Folder Icons

newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) (06/09/88)

How does one create new folder icons?
For instance, System Folder has a different folder icon compared to
other typical folders.

Thanks in advance for your info.

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/10/88)

In article <959@mtund.ATT.COM> newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) writes:
>How does one create new folder icons?
>For instance, System Folder has a different folder icon compared to
>other typical folders.

  You will find the Folder Icon in the Resource Fork of the Finder.  I believe
currently that their is no way to tell the finder to use different Icons for
different folders.  The System Folder Icon is a special case that the finder
happens to check for, it treats the rest of the icons normally, now if you want
all of you folders to be different you can always edit the "plain" folder using
ResEdit and the finder will use the new icon to display all of the folders.

  In summary the finder uses only two types of folder icons, one for the system,
and one for every other folder.  You can edit both of these folder types, but
you can't "add" new folder types to the finder.  But you have brought up a very
interesting idea.  I think it would be great to allow the user to add "custom"
folder icons and apply those icons to specific subdirectories.
   Hey Apple's new finder people!!!!  What about it, sounds good to me.  Very
user extensible, isn't that what we want!!!  What about the rest of netland, do
you want to be able to add custom folder icons with the finder, I think I'd like
it, you know different icons for Data, Development, applications, it would be
neat!!

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) (06/10/88)

In article <959@mtund.ATT.COM> newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) writes:
>How does one create new folder icons?
>For instance, System Folder has a different folder icon compared to
>other typical folders.

The best way I have found is to simply edit the ICN#'s of the existing
icons (assuming you are using a finder that supports the new and
different icons for different folders--I believe it was introduced
with Finder 6.0).

The above assumes you have a recent copy of ResEdit and are willing to
use it on an existing Finder.  ResEdit doesn't scare me (I actually did
what you asked about quite recently, multiple times), but it does scare
some people, primarily because it is SO EASY to PERMANENTLY (basically)
screw something up if you do THE SLIGHTEST THING WRONG.

Don't get me wrong, ResEdit is easy to use, intuitive, and is an essential
programmers' tool, but the stuff it messes with is the very meat of
programs, and if something goes wrong, the only way to recover is to have
a backup copy of whatever it WAS on hand.

-Brad Knowles

UUCP: ...!ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!blknowle     ARPA: blknowle@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
SNAIL: 1013 Mobile Circle
       Norman, OK  73071-2522
Philosophy of Boris Yeltsin: "If one wants to be unemployed, one will
	criticize ones' boss.  If one wants to be sent to Siberia, one
	will criticize the wife of ones' boss."
Disclaimer: (The above opinions are my own.  They have nothing to do with the
		Univeristy of Oklahoma nor intelligance of any sort. :-)

gagaku@ucscd.UCSC.EDU (23527000) (06/10/88)

Hertzfeld's Servant allows custom folder icons, so should be  implementable
in new (7.0) Finder!

But please also consider need for another special type of folder--the "virtual"
folder that is transparent under HFS, but allows grouping of related files
such as all laser fonts in the System folder, all Inits, all cdevs, etc.
At present, you can't do this without "hiding" these files from the Finder.
A "Virtual" folder -- perhaps an "envelope" icon -- would allow cleaning up
the god-awful mess in System and other big folders...

rmf@actnyc.UUCP (Robert M. Fuhrer) (06/13/88)

In article <1392@uokmax.UUCP> blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) writes:
<
<The above assumes you have a recent copy of ResEdit...

So, where can one get the latest version of ResEdit? Would someone be kind
enough to post it to comp.sys.mac.binaries???
--
The Foundation for Unmitigated Sillyness		uunet!actnyc!rmf
Department of Redundancy Department