[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Symbolic debugging for the Mac

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (06/10/88)

The Manx ads are now saying that their source-level debugger sdb is
available for Aztec C.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (06/11/88)

First we had Discipline (by the way, where is Discipline for the new
(version 6) version of Macsbug?)

Then we had Bondage,

Now SADE.

I went to my files and found this (from an April 1982 (!) issue of
InfoWorld:

  "The remarkable thing about these computers is not their abilities, but
their user-adjustable keys. We didn't stop at making our function keys
user-friendly. Depending upon your abilities and mood, you can adjust our
keyboard to be user-affable, user-good-humored, user-benign, user-chummy,
and yes, even user-hostile if you are a graduate of the Marquis De Sade
School of Programming and Documentation.
	Minnie Floppy"

--- David Phillip Oster            --When you asked me to live in sin with you
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --I didn't know you meant sloth.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (06/11/88)

In article <3078@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, ijlustig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) writes:

> We are considering moving the course to Mac-II's.  However, I am unaware
> of any decent programming environments on the Mac which provide
> symbolic debugging capabilities (except for MacPascal, which I have
> used successfully in another course).  I want to be able to stop
> a program at specific lines, examine the values of variables, all
> using the original names of variables from the program.  Now Microsoft
> has "CodeView" for C and Fortran on DOS machines--is there anything
> similar that works on a Mac?  At this time, I would prefer info on
> C and Fortran compilers for the Mac, although info on other languages
> would be useful as well.

Check out LSC 3.0 (due RSN).  It provides source level debugging that satisfies
all your requests and then some just as their LightSpeed Pascal does.

You also will want to investigate MPW 3.0 as the Pascal and C compilers will
be compatible with SADE (Standard Apple Debugging Environment?) and it also
has the features that you request.  Third party language developers for MPW
(both FORTRAN and Modula-2) have been working with MPW's engineers to make
their compilers compatible with SADE.  This product is supposed to be available
from APDA in beta form about the time of the Boston MacWorld show, according to
the last rumor that I heard which included a date.  So far as Apple has
announced, it is "later this year".

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Macintosh Division
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

schoaff@awamore.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Schoaff) (06/13/88)

	Will it be pronounced sAd?

	Or shar-dA?

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (06/14/88)

In article <18239@cornell.UUCP> schoaff@awamore (Peter Schoaff) writes:

>	Will it be pronounced sAd?
>
>	Or shar-dA?
	So far it's being mispronounced as "sayd", ie. the a is long