[comp.sys.mac.programmer] lint

phil@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Phil Sohn) (05/07/88)

the mac?

			phil@ems.media.mit.edu

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (06/07/88)

Copied from comp.lang.c article:

>I've said it before (usually in Pascal-vs-C discussions): a C compiler
>consists of two parts, traditionally called cc and lint.  A vendor who doesn't
>supply a lint equivalent is only selling half a C compiler.
>
>Karl W. Z. Heuer (ima!haddock!karl or karl@haddock.isc.com), The Walking Lint

I *thought* there was something missing!
*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (06/18/88)

In article <8808@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>Copied from comp.lang.c article:
>>I've said it before (usually in Pascal-vs-C discussions): a C compiler
>>consists of two parts, traditionally called cc and lint.  A vendor who doesn't
>>supply a lint equivalent is only selling half a C compiler.
>>
>>Karl W. Z. Heuer (ima!haddock!karl or karl@haddock.isc.com), The Walking Lint
>
>I *thought* there was something missing!

You are so right.  The compiler was originally split into two parts so small
changes could be made while tuning a program quickly (without all the
checking), and to make the checking portion smaller (which is all that is
needed in the first few iterations of edit-test).  I would rather have a full
version of lint than a symbolic debugger!

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK