[comp.sys.mac.programmer] RMaker to MPW Rez conversion

keith@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Keith Kinoshita) (06/30/88)

	I'm working on a project that requires me to convert RMaker
syntax source files to a form that Rez will understand.  I want
to know if anyone out there has written such a beastie?  If so could
you please e-mail me a response?  Thanks in advance...
--
Keith Kinoshita
INTERNET: keith@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU         ARPA:  uhccux!keith@nosc.MIL

nopuklic@ndsuvax.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (06/30/88)

In article <2007@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> keith@uhccux.UUCP (Keith Kinoshita)
writes:

>        I'm working on a project that requires me to convert RMaker
>syntax source files to a form that Rez will understand.  I want
>to know if anyone out there has written such a beastie?  If so could
>you please e-mail me a response?  Thanks in advance...
>--
>Keith Kinoshita
>INTERNET: keith@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU         ARPA:  uhccux!keith@nosc.MIL
>BITNET:   keith@uhccux           UUCP:  ...!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!keith
>PLATO:    keith / uhcc / hawaii

     Keith, no need to convert the source files, because there is another
way.  Conversion from one source syntax to another is a very simple
task.  Since you apparently have MPW (you mention Rez), you can
compile the source using the RMaker resource compiler, and then decompile
it using MPW's Derez tool.  RMaker will create a file having suffix .rsrc
as its object file.  Derez can then be used on this file in the
following manner:
	Derez SysTypes.r Types.r {Size.r} {MPWTypes.r} inputFile
		> outputFile
     This will create an output file having Rez syntax, and if you
tell Derez about the "type" declaration files SysTypes.r and Types.r,
you'll get source that is fairly easy to understand (minus comments).
I doubt that you'll need to inform Derez of the declaration in Size.r
(that contains the new MultiFinder SIZE resource type), nor the
MPWTypes.r declarations, which contains the resource type for MPW
DRVW's (DRVR's).  (As a matter of fact, I just looked up what the DRVW
type is used for; it just makes writing a desk accessory easier.)
     I hope this helps you out.  Make sure to ask if you can't figure
out Derez from what I have sketched out above.
     Oh, one more thing about Derez before I forget.  If you have any
resource types that your application uses that are NOT included in
SysTypes.r or Types.r, Derez won't understand them.  However, Derez
will create a Data statement for that resource, so it still will be
understood by Rez and will be placed in the resource fork as it was read
from the original.  In other words, it doesn't make a difference.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
||	Blayne Puklich			nopuklic@plains.NoDak.edu	   ||
||	NDSU Student ACM     use this-> NU087763@NDSUVM1.bitnet		   ||
||	Chairperson		  North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND ||
||									   ||
||		"Everyone should have a Corvette, I think."		   ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||

tomas@Apple.COM (Tom Taylor) (06/30/88)

In article <2007@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> keith@uhccux.UUCP (Keith Kinoshita) writes:

>	I'm working on a project that requires me to convert RMaker
>syntax source files to a form that Rez will understand.  I want
>to know if anyone out there has written such a beastie?  If so could
>you please e-mail me a response?  Thanks in advance...
>--
>Keith Kinoshita
>INTERNET: keith@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU         ARPA:  uhccux!keith@nosc.MIL
>BITNET:   keith@uhccux           UUCP:  ...!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!keith
>PLATO:    keith / uhcc / hawaii

I don't know of a specific program to convert RMaker files to Rez files
but I do know of a way to accomplish the task:

  Simply run RMaker on your RMaker source files to create the resource
  files.  Then use the MPW tool DeRez to "decompile" the resource file(s)
  into Rez source files.  It's simple.

Tom Taylor
Development Systems Group

sunny@hoptoad.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (07/01/88)

Run RMaker to create a resource file.
Run DeRez  to create a Rez source file.

Lemme guess, you wanted to preserve comments?

			sunny
--
Ms. Sunny Kirsten, The Astral Consultants		(415)457-7555 (voice)
233 Humboldt St.,  San Rafael, CA 94901	 GEnie: astral	(415)457-7705 (modem)

keith@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Keith Kinoshita) (07/01/88)

In article <13094@apple.Apple.COM> tomas@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Tom Taylor) writes:
[my posting deleted with some initial comments]
>but I do know of a way to accomplish the task:
>
>  Simply run RMaker on your RMaker source files to create the resource
>  files.  Then use the MPW tool DeRez to "decompile" the resource file(s)
>  into Rez source files.  It's simple.

	Thanks for the replies everyone, but perhaps I should have been
more specific.  I've been using the method mentioned above up to now,
but I wanted to:
1) include the original comments from the RMaker source files
2) keep the resource files into a structured layout.
	DeRez is fine for small resource files, and generating resources
for similar applications.  In one instance, I've got a resource file
that's over a 100K (FONDs inclusive) when I've DeRezed it.  I've been
able to work with the hex data declarations up to now, but I forsee
problems in the future.  If major revisions are necessary,
a lot of time will be wasted either rewriting the code for Rez or
making the changes to the RMaker sources and going through the whole
compile->DeRez->Rez cycle.  It would be so much more simpler if someone
had a program that converted RMaker source files into Rez source files
that preserved comments and generated a structured format.
--
Keith Kinoshita
INTERNET: keith@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU         ARPA:  uhccux!keith@nosc.MIL
BITNET:   keith@uhccux           UUCP:  ...!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!keith
PLATO:    keith / uhcc / hawaii

adail@pnet06.cts.com (Alan Dail) (07/01/88)

The easiest way to convert RMaker files to rez syntax it to RMaker and then
DeRez the files.

Alan Dail

UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!adail
ARPA: crash!pnet06!adail@nosc.mil
INET: adail@pnet06.cts.com

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (07/01/88)

keith@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Keith Kinoshita) writes:

 > ... convert RMaker syntax source files to a form that Rez will understand

Just compile your RMaker sources into resources, and use MPWs DeRez tool to
generate Rez-compatible sources!  Easy, huh?

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET                        University of Leiden
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP                         University of Amsterdam
   dibs@well.UUCP
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:512/114.FidoNet                           The Netherlands