[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LSP questions

jasmerb@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (07/16/88)

2 questions about Lightspeed Pascal that are undocumented (as far as I
can tell):

	1) How to you set the creator of a built program with a compiler
	   directive? I am looking for something like: {$C MSWD} if I was
	   writing Microsoft Word for example.
	2) What are the differences between saving a document as
	   'text only' and 'entire document'? Is it just a saving in space,
	   or is there more to it? And why would I want to save it as entire
	   document? I wouldn't be able to open it up from any generic text
	   editor.

--------------------------
Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@orstcs.cs.orst.edu

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (07/16/88)

In article <5509@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, jasmerb@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
> 2 questions about Lightspeed Pascal that are undocumented (as far as I
> can tell):
>
> 	1) How to you set the creator of a built program with a compiler
> 	   directive? I am looking for something like: {$C MSWD} if I was
> 	   writing Microsoft Word for example.
This was an oversight in the 1.x versions of LSP.  There was (and is) no
facility for setting the creator of whatever you're building.  I was told
almost two years ago that it would be available in the next release (that must
be the 2.0 that is rumored to be coming soon).

> 	2) What are the differences between saving a document as
> 	   'text only' and 'entire document'? Is it just a saving in space,
> 	   or is there more to it? And why would I want to save it as entire
> 	   document? I wouldn't be able to open it up from any generic text
> 	   editor.
Saving as text only will create a file which can be read with other editors, a
good thing.  Entire document appears to save some tokenized binary image.  Such
a file opens a lot quicker in the editor(?) that LSP provides, saves breakpoints
and other such things.  I always save text-only when debugging changes force me
to use that editor so that I can do my real editing with SigmaEdit or something
similar.

Dennis Cohen
Claris
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/18/88)

In article <5509@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
>2 questions about Lightspeed Pascal that are undocumented (as far as I
>can tell):
>
>	1) How to you set the creator of a built program with a compiler
>	   directive? I am looking for something like: {$C MSWD} if I was
>	   writing Microsoft Word for example.

	You can't. The next version of Lightspeed Pascal will allow you to
set the file type and creator from a dialog box; for now, use a utility
such as DiskTop.

>	2) What are the differences between saving a document as
>	   'text only' and 'entire document'? Is it just a saving in space,
>	   or is there more to it? And why would I want to save it as entire
>	   document? I wouldn't be able to open it up from any generic text
>	   editor.

	When you save a document as "Entire Document", it saves the internal
representation of the file; this way, the document takes up more space on disk,
but load and save much faster. Also, your stop signs (if any)) are preserved,
so the next time you read the document in Lightspeed Pascal, the stop signs
are where you left them.

	Note that in versio 2.0 of Lightspeed Pascal, the internal format
is going to change, so you'll have to re-save any Entire Documents as
Text Only, and re-load them into Lightspeed Pascal 2.0.

>Bryce Jasmer

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Symantec/THINK Technologies