[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Clipper compatible compiler for the Mac

egs@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Schnoebelen) (07/21/88)

Hello NetLand!

	Can anyone tell me if there is a Clipper Compatible compiler for
the Mac?  For those who don't know, Clipper is a dBase III+ compiler (
with extensions ) for the IBM-PC family.  If there is such a beast, who
makes/sells it?  How much ( approx. )?  Any other info?

	We need to port some of our Clipper code to the Mac for one of our
customers, if we can find a compiler for it.  We know of FoxPlus, but we
would rather have a complete compiler, rather than an interpter.

	Please e-mail, and I will post a follow up summary if there is
enough info/requests.

	Eric Schnoebelen
	John W. Bridges & Associates, Inc.
	Lewisville, Tx
	(214) 436-8334
	{ ihnp4, mit-eddie, many more } !killer!u-word!egs
	u-word!egs@killer.dallas.tx.us
	egs@killer.dallas.tx.us

( a Cyclone in Mustang/Longhorn country )
[ looks like I need to add two newsgroups to my .newsrc ]

djp@aero.ARPA (Dennis J. Persinger) (07/21/88)

In article <4866@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> egs@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Schnoebelen) writes:

>Hello NetLand!
>
>	Can anyone tell me if there is a Clipper Compatible compiler for
>the Mac?  For those who don't know, Clipper is a dBase III+ compiler (
>with extensions ) for the IBM-PC family.  If there is such a beast, who
>makes/sells it?  How much ( approx. )?  Any other info?

What you should look at is McMax, which I think is also made by Nantucket
(the maker of Clipper).  As I recall, it purports to handle all Clipper
files, unchanged, and does include a compiler in addition to an interpreter.
Unfortunately, the way that they accomplish this is to throw up a single
window in 9 pt monaco and present everything as it would be on a PC screen.
(Well what did you expect from an application that handles all PC program
files unchanged?)  I think that it allowed some limited Mac customization
by letting programmers insert simple button dialog boxes (e.g. "Save this
file?" "Yes" "No" "Cancel"), but for most Mac users, the resulting application
is quite annoying (computing in 'The Brave New World').  However, the cost
isn't too bad I think (a couple of hundred), and it does let you get existing
applications up and running quickly on the Mac.  I suppose you could use
it as a stopgap and port the code into FoxBase if you needed a permanent,
long-term solution.

Dennis Persinger
The Aerospace Corp.
djp@aerospace.aero.org