[comp.sys.mac.programmer] HyperCard & MultiFinder

newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) (07/14/88)

Is it possible to write HyperCard scripts in HyperTalk that would
run in the background under MultiFinder?  i.e. Is multi-tasking within
HyperCard possible under MultiFinder?

Thanks,

Newton Lee
AT&T Advanced Workgroup Systems
Lincroft, NJ, USA

newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) (07/19/88)

Is there a way I can make several HyperCard stacks running at the
same time (background execution) under multi-finder?

Newton Lee
Advanced Workgroup Systems
AT&T Bell Laboratories

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (07/22/88)

In article <991@mtund.ATT.COM> newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) writes:

>Is there a way I can make several HyperCard stacks running at the
>same time (background execution) under multi-finder?
>
>Newton Lee
>Advanced Workgroup Systems
>AT&T Bell Laboratories

There is good news and bad news on this topic.  The bad news is that you
cannot currently run two copies of HyperCard under MultiFinder due to a
problem with the sound manager, so only one stack at a time.

The good news is that at least we are aware of this problem and are
working on various solutions to the single stack/no backgrounding
problems.  Look for them in the 2.0 release of HyperCard next year.

Dan Allen
HyperCard Engineer

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/24/88)

>> Is it possible to write HyperCard scripts in HyperTalk that would
>> run in the background under MultiFinder?  i.e. Is multi-tasking within
>> HyperCard possible under MultiFinder?

No.  Hypercard is a foreground only application-- when switched to the
background, Hypercard (should) sends a suspend message to the current card.
After this message, the next message (should be) sent is a resume message.  (We
have had very little luck with the reliability of either message).

It might be possible to run a backgrounding XCMD, although I would suspect that
it could not use any SendCardMessage, EvalExpr, or other action that causes
some sort of script action to happen.

B.Bum