[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LSC: Program Development using Resources?

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (08/11/88)

Well, here I am, still thinking about getting myself Lightspeed C (when I have
the cash and time - soon). In the meantime I've been soaking up information
about the Mac resource management.
   So: If I want to write a C program which uses resources (MENU's, PICT's
or whatever), then what support does LSC give? Is it possible to attach a
resource file to a project, so that the resources can be built and configured
as the program is being developed? I can see a scenario where I've
multi-found LSC and ResEdit, and I swap between them to paste up
resources and refer to them in the program. Is this on?
   A quick reading of IM implies that some of the resources are actually
code (such as WDEF's, which are executed to draw windows - yes?). Will LSC
hold my hand if I want to build these?

   I suppose this is a more general question about Mac software development,
but I have LSC in my sights at the moment. But any comments would be welcome.

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

hoofb@psu-cs.UUCP (Bruce Hoof) (08/13/88)

In article <636@etive.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>Well, here I am, still thinking about getting myself Lightspeed C (when I have
>the cash and time - soon). In the meantime I've been soaking up information
>about the Mac resource management.
>   So: If I want to write a C program which uses resources (MENU's, PICT's
>or whatever), then what support does LSC give? Is it possible to attach a
>resource file to a project, so that the resources can be built and configured
>as the program is being developed? I can see a scenario where I've
>multi-found LSC and ResEdit, and I swap between them to paste up
>resources and refer to them in the program. Is this on?

	The way resources are handled is that your create them, with your
favorite appl, and put them into a resource file called project.rsrc where
'project' is the name of your project.  Then when you run your project
LSC will open up that resource file so your program can access it.  So
you can have resedit and LSC open in multifinder and create resource files
on the fly as you develope your application.

Bruce Hoof
DISCLAIMER: I am not attached to any organization.  I am just a poor student
		getting through school. Hopefully soon.

-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
     		  Bruce Hoof | uunet  \                  hoofb@psu-cs   (LOCAL)
    Computer Science Student | ucbvax  }!tektronix!psu-cs!hoofb          (UUCP)
Portland State University CS | gatech /              hoofb@cs.pdx.edu   (CSNET)
Portland Center for Advanced | ihnp4 /  hoofb%cs.pdx.edu@relay.cs.net (ARPANET)
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

hoofb@psu-cs.UUCP (Bruce Hoof) (08/13/88)

In article <636@etive.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>Well, here I am, still thinking about getting myself Lightspeed C (when I have
>the cash and time - soon). In the meantime I've been soaking up information
>about the Mac resource management.
>   So: If I want to write a C program which uses resources (MENU's, PICT's
>or whatever), then what support does LSC give? Is it possible to attach a
>resource file to a project, so that the resources can be built and configured
>as the program is being developed? I can see a scenario where I've
>multi-found LSC and ResEdit, and I swap between them to paste up
>resources and refer to them in the program. Is this on?

The way resources are handled is that your create them, with your
favorite appl, and put them into a resource file called project.rsrc where
'project' is the name of your project.  Then when you run your project
LSC will open up that resource file so your program can access it.  So
you can have resedit and LSC open in multifinder and create resource files
on the fly as you develope your application.

	When you build your application, or whatever, LSC will copy all the
resources into the application for you.