[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Help setting application's icon

peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP (08/16/88)

I am fairly new to Macintosh programming, but I am quickly getting
familiar with it.  There is one thing that is puzzling me now...

I am trying to make my own icon for an application that I wrote.
I know how to do this (with MPW & Rez, etc.), but there seems to be
a problem with "installing" it.  The first time I built the application
with the correct signature, etc, the icon came up on the screen nicely.

Unfortunately, I want to modify this icon.  It seems that the mac system
(maybe the Desktop file) is refusing to forget the original icon, and
no matter what I set it to, the original is still used.  I am using
system software 6.0 - is this a bug?  Or am I not doing something???

Any help would be appreciated.  Inside Mac does not go into much detail
about the finder interface.

Joe Peterson
Schlumberger
Billerica, Ma

uucp: ...mit-eddie!applicon!peterson

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (08/19/88)

In article <77900005@peterson> peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP writes:

>I am trying to make my own icon for an application that I wrote.
> [ stuff deleted ]
>Unfortunately, I want to modify this icon.  It seems that the mac system
>(maybe the Desktop file) is refusing to forget the original icon, and
>no matter what I set it to, the original is still used.

Hmmmm...did you try rebuilding the desktop (trash disk's icon, re-insert
disk holding the OPTION and COMMAND keys down)?  I have had inconsistent
luck with resetting icons myself, but this usually works.  There is an
old utility called "IconInstaller" which works when this doesn't.
Good luck.

Marc Johnson
Rockefeller Univ.
(marc%rna@rockefeller.edu  OR rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet [129.85.2.1])

geoff@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Geoffrey Knauth) (08/22/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
Subject: background compilation
In article <5125@husc6.harvard.edu> singer@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In article <418@metasoft.UUCP> alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:
>>what i'd really like to know is whether compilations can occur
>>in the BACKGROUND. anyone know?
>
>	No, and there's no good reason for them to do so. Backgroun
>compilation is such a CPU-intensive task that it would slow down all of
>the foreground tasks, and the foreground tasks will slow down compilation,
>particularly if they don't give sufficient time via correct use of
>WaitNextEvent.

I would prefer to have the option of compiling in the background.
Although I don't do it that often, Unix has never said there was "no
good reason" for me to compile in the background.

On occasion I've needed this ability, and someday Mac developers will
need it too.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
Subject: Re: LSC 3.0

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
Subject: Re: Help setting application's icon
In article <77900005@peterson> peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP writes:

>I am trying to make my own icon for an application that I wrote.
>I know how to do this (with MPW & Rez, etc.), but there seems to be
>a problem with "installing" it.  The first time I built the application
>with the correct signature, etc, the icon came up on the screen nicely.
>
>Unfortunately, I want to modify this icon.  It seems that the mac system
>(maybe the Desktop file) is refusing to forget the original icon, and
>no matter what I set it to, the original is still used.  I am using
>system software 6.0 - is this a bug?  Or am I not doing something???

I recently tried a program ("BindIcon" ?) from one of my Boston
Computer Society or Berkeley Macintosh Users' Group disks.  It worked
quite nicely, and described in its documentation how it avoids some of
the nastiness you've encountered.
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth    CAMEX, 75 Kneeland St., Boston, MA 02111, 617/426-3577
geoff@sunfs3.uucp                                  I do not speak for Camex.

andrew@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Andrew C. Esh) (08/23/88)

	Inside Macintosh, Volume 3, pages 10-12, summary:

Using ResEdit:

1.  Create an 'FREF' resource which contains 'APPL', and a local ID number
(I use 0).

2.  Create a 'vers' resource (any ID number), which contains a
Pascal string (length byte, followed by chars), which has your version in it.

3.  Create a 'BNDL' which has your program's signature,
the version resource ID.

4.  Add an icon list to your BNDL with local ID 0 (set above), and the
actual resource ID of the desired icon.

5.  Add an FREF entry with a local ID, and a resource ID which is the same
as the FREF resource's.

6.  Now reset (set to zero) the "inited" bit in the file info to tell the
Finder that it needs to look at the file again, and copy the file to a new
disk.  The Finder will see the reset inited bit and reload the icon into
the desktop.  This step took me a few tries; help, anyone?

	If it doesn't work, RTFM, and try it again.  All the resources
must match up, or you get nothing.

						- Andrew
--
Andrew C. Esh        DOMAIN: andrew@ems.MN.ORG     APPLELINK: D0492
EMS/McGraw-Hill      UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!ems!andrew      AT&T: (612) 829-8200