[comp.sys.mac.programmer] x windows on the mac 2

mem@potomac.ads.com (Mark E. Moessinger) (08/22/88)

Does anyone know if x-windows has been ported to the MAC 2. If so how
good is performance ???
--
					Mark M.

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/23/88)

in article <6818@potomac.ads.com>, mem@potomac.ads.com (Mark E. Moessinger) says:

> Does anyone know if x-windows has been ported to the MAC 2. If so how
> good is performance ???

The port is apparently in the works (under A/UX) and will be available some
time this fall. No word yet on how much it will cost...

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

hkbirke@mit-amt (Hal Birkeland) (08/24/88)

In article <645@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
> in article <6818@potomac.ads.com>, mem@potomac.ads.com (Mark E. Moessinger) says:
> >
> > Does anyone know if x-windows has been ported to the MAC 2. If so how
> > good is performance ???
>
> The port is apparently in the works (under A/UX) and will be available some
> time this fall. No word yet on how much it will cost...

	Like most X11 code, it is free when ftp'ed from various X-ftp
sites around the nation. There is one in dec's system (it used to be
decwrl.com but that has changed recently) and also expo.lcs.mit.edu.
Included in the source is a driver for the Mac II.  Therefore, if you
are on the arpanet you can get it free... no guarantees on the speed
of the server, but it should work...

./server/ddx/macII

-- hal
If you find any optimized "mi" code out there, please let me know (if
you think 8 plane X is slow, try 24).

kennel@minnie.cognet.ucla.edu (Matthew Kennel) (08/25/88)

In article <645@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>in article <6818@potomac.ads.com>, mem@potomac.ads.com (Mark E. Moessinger) says:
>> Does anyone know if x-windows has been ported to the MAC 2. If so how
>> good is performance ???
>The port is apparently in the works (under A/UX) and will be available some
>time this fall. No word yet on how much it will cost...

Cost?  I think I know what the answer should be.

I quote from the X man page on my apollo:

"     Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
     software and its documentation for any purpose and without
     fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright
     notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
     notice and this permission notice appear in supporting docu-
     mentation, and that the name of M.I.T. not be used in
     advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
     software without specific, written prior permission.  M.I.T.
     makes no representations about the suitability of this
     software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without
     express or implied warranty."

I don't know if this _requires_ that all X implementations be free of charge,
but MIT did _not_ put X in the public domain, so quite possibly this was
the intention.

There is a loophole, of course.  "All the X software is _free_, except
for the machine-dependent server program that we wrote that will cost $795."  (sounds
obnoxiously IBMesque)

Digression:
This isn't as explicit as the FSF's rule that all FSF software and derivative
works must be free of charge, in both binary and source.  (That rule, if
strictly enforced, might mean that any program linked with FSF's libraries
must be free software, which would obviously make it unsuitable for any
commercial product.  But this is for another newsgroup, sorry)

Matt Kennel
kennel@cognet.ucla.edu