[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SCSI Speed

phil@mit-amt (a phil sohn) (08/26/88)

	Has anyone tried to milk a SCSI drive for all
it's speed?  I would like to get about 400 Kbytes/sec.
Does anyone have any suggestions?  How low of level do
I have to write my code?
	Does anyone know about using async FileManager calls?  How
much CPU time is lost when the calls are async?  What is the
optimal buffer size?
	We are using it to interface to a 56000 board
that we built to do real time sound out put from disk.

				phil

bryant@oakhill.UUCP (Bryant Wilder) (08/28/88)

In article <2972@mit-amt>, phil@mit-amt (a phil sohn) writes:

> 	Has anyone tried to milk a SCSI drive for all
> it's speed?  I would like to get about 400 Kbytes/sec.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  How low of level do
> I have to write my code?
> 	Does anyone know about using async FileManager calls?  How
> much CPU time is lost when the calls are async?  What is the
> optimal buffer size?
> 	We are using it to interface to a 56000 board
> that we built to do real time sound out put from disk.
>
> 				phil

i don't know whether this suggestion will help, but when we were
developing the Mac II version of the DSP56000ADS (the Applications Development
System hardware for the DSP56001R20 digital signal processor chip), we
bypassed the FILEMANAGER in the Mac II operating system to do real time
reads/writes to the NuBus cards.  using the Aztec C compiler we were able
to read/write directly to the Mac II interface card for the DSP56000ADS.
it is very simple and uses peek/poke calls similar to basic.  it can be done
on byte, word, or long word and is probably the fastest you're going to get
on the Mac II.

hope this helps.

bryant wilder  motorola dsp operation in austin, texas