[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Listing of error number meanings. Does anyone have such a thing?

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (09/05/88)

I was wondering if someone could tell me what errors ID=1 and ID=3 mean.
While your at it, maybe you can provide a list of all the errors (or at least
the most common).  It would be appreciated.

Michael Niehaus

(Yes, we plan on getting IM vol 1-5 as soon as our membership is processed.)

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (09/05/88)

In article <3852@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>I was wondering if someone could tell me what errors ID=1 and ID=3 mean.
>While your at it, maybe you can provide a list of all the errors (or at least
>the most common).  It would be appreciated.

1 is "Bus error: Never happens on a Macintosh"  (Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!)
3 is "Illegal instruction"
2 is "Address error: Word or long-word reference to odd address"

These are some of the most common, and usually mean a program has gone
completely whacko, lost track of its program counter, or is
referencing non-existent or improper memory.  Since you post to the
programmer's newsgroup, I assume you have some sort of development
system you are planning to use.  This will most certainly include a
list of error numbers and their meanings.

By the way, I have a library of routines which decodes all of the
negative error numbers I could find, and informs the user via a dialog
box.  I have it set up to work with a Signal mechanism adapted from
one of the TechNotes but modified to work with MPW C.  It is meant to
be used with functions of type OSErr, so that:

	Signal(OSErrRoutine(<parameters>));

Will do nothing if the routine returns NoErr, and will abort,
informing the user, otherwise.  If there is interest, I can post the
sources to the relevant newsgroup...

Earle --

Earle R. Horton. 23 Fletcher Circle, Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-4109