[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW wish list item

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (09/14/88)

It is too late for MPW 3, certainly; but one lack has only recently
become more and more painful:  I wish the editor let one split a
window, so I can keep the declarations at the top of a file or routine
in view while I work on the stuff lower down in the file.  QUED (for
instance) or microEmacs let you do this (or something similar), but I
like having everything in the one editor/shell/environment.

	/JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Steve Uitti) (09/14/88)

In article <29624@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>It is too late for MPW 3, certainly; but one lack has only recently
>become more and more painful:  I wish the editor let one split a
>window, so I can keep the declarations at the top of a file or routine
>in view while I work on the stuff lower down in the file.
>	/JBL
>UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
>INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

	I have the same problems with LSC 3.0.  I experimented with
using Jove (an EMACS), but it isn't part of the environment, so you
can't compile, etc.  I do still use Jove if there is going to be lots
of changes requiring macro capabilities.

	LSC's editor supports multiple windows, but only one per file.
My solution is to create a new window (new file), copy the stuff I
want to see to it, then, when done looking at it, close the window
(telling LSC not to save it).  This is a general solution, and
although it sounds cumbersome, it isn't really more difficult or
slower than using EMACS.  LSC's editor behaves in the MAC tradition,
with mouse oriented select/copy/paste.  This is the one operation that
mice are better at than the keyboard for editing.

	LSC's editor has a very nice find/replace system.  It does
replace all, it effectively does query replace, it can do complicated
regular expressions (though I don't use them often) and can do it over
multiple files (like a "foreach" in csh, with "sed").

	Though this is (replace system) very nice, it is not a macro
capability.  I just (re)installed system 6.0, and I will soon make an
attempt at using MacroMaker for some of this kind of thing.  I hear
that MacroMaker can slow the entire system by a factor of four
(bringing my Mac II's speed to that of an SE :-< ).  We'll see.

	Stephen.

ps: I used to wish System 6.0 was perfect rather than flawed.  Now I
wonder if it is "better".  I used to wish that the Mac II was awesome
and perfect, but now I see it as an open market for training and value
to be added.  I used to think that LSC was perfect, but now I see it
as only "the best".

lippin@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) (09/15/88)

Recently suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Steve Uitti) wrote:
>	LSC's editor has a very nice find/replace system.  It does
>replace all, it effectively does query replace, it can do complicated
>regular expressions (though I don't use them often) and can do it over
>multiple files (like a "foreach" in csh, with "sed").

	I'd appreciate the search&replace feature a lot more if I
didn't have to baby-sit it during multi-file searches.  If I want to
replace every instance of a pattern, I have to go through "Replace
all.  OK, I accept that 15 occurances were replaced in this file.  Now
go on to the next file.  Replace all..."  Plus it will leave hordes of
windows open.

	The result of this hassle is that when it's time to do a
serious replace, I often turn to MPW, because it takes me seriously
when I tell it to replace all.

	For those out there who haven't experienced LSC, let me add
that despite having a lame editor, it's still a Great Program.  But
it's part of the furniture on my computer; if there's a rough spot,
it's bound to make me sore sooner or later.

					--Tom Lippincott
					..ucbvax!math!lippin

	"Hell is like a supermarket in other ways too --
	 there's an express lane for ten sins or less, and they
	 won't let you take the carts out to the parking lot."
					--Mister Boffo