[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Pascal compilers

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (09/20/88)

I work in C (mostly), and I have MPW 2.0.2.  I don't have Pascal, but
I do occasionally run across some source I'd like to do something
with.  (I also have been asked what I might like as a gift "for your
computer". :-))

MPW Pascal is a  lot more than I would like to spend for something I
wouldn't use all that much.  However, TML Pascal II is available for
$79 (including basic MPW) from places like MacConnection.  It is
supposedly completely object compatible with MPW, and I believe it is
supposed to be very nearly source compatible.

The question: is this worth getting?  Does anyone have any experience
with the beast?  Or are there any known problems?  etc.  Also, I
wonder if it is available cheaper without MPW, since I don't need it?

	Thanks / JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

drc@claris.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (09/20/88)

In article <29823@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>MPW Pascal is a  lot more than I would like to spend for something I
>wouldn't use all that much.  However, TML Pascal II is available for
>$79 (including basic MPW) from places like MacConnection.  It is
>supposedly completely object compatible with MPW, and I believe it is
>supposed to be very nearly source compatible.
>
>The question: is this worth getting?  Does anyone have any experience
>with the beast?  Or are there any known problems?  etc.  Also, I
>wonder if it is available cheaper without MPW, since I don't need it?

TML Pascal II is an excellent product.  The only differences that I am aware
of are that it doesn't allow constructs such as:
	CONST foo = 'This is a string.';
	      bar = foo[3];   { <- This isn't allowed by TML }
and that it doesn't do packing beyond the byte level.  The code that it
generates is on a par with that from the Apple MPW compiler, often better
when integer arithmetic is involved (like incrementation of a variable) and
its compile speed is far better than that of the Apple product.  To the best
of my knowledge the only way they ship it is with MPW since they only have
to deal with one packaging configuration that way and that savings more
than compensates for the cost of three disks and one-half the manual.  The
Project Manager is a nice tool (kind of like make depend).

In short, it's a good product at (comparatively) an excellent price.  It's
only been out about two weeks now and I haven't had any problems with it,
having completed the port of TransSkel, TransDisplay, TransEdit, and Blob
Manager to it, with their example programs as well as converting a font
editor and some other tools.  Everything seems to be working fine at this
point.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!