[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Aztec C 3.6c bargain.

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (09/21/88)

I just acquired Aztec C 3.6c from MacWareHouse for $65.00.  Seems like
a real bargain, especially since it runs under both the Aztec and MPW
shells.  So far, it looks like code generation is comparable to or
better than MPW, the compiler is faster, and the linker is much
smarter.  The example "term" program supplied with Aztec produced a 7k
application when compiled with Aztec C and linked with Aztec's linker,
and it produced a 13k application when the MPW stuff was used.  The
advertised MPW source-level support is pretty close, too, although
they do use icky 16-bit ints, and the compiler barfs on MPW C style
pascal function prototypes.

I must have received one of the first copies shipped, however, since:

THERE WAS NO MAKE PROGRAM ON THE DISTRIBUTION DISKS!

This isn't so bad, because the compiler and linker can be used with
MPW make, but I would like to have the Aztec make.  If you work for
Manx and read this, you might want to do something about it, because
it could be embarassing.

Earle R. Horton. 23 Fletcher Circle, Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-4109
Sorry, no fancy stuff, since this program limits my .signature to three

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (09/21/88)

In article <10134@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>I just acquired Aztec C 3.6c from MacWareHouse for $65.00.  Seems like
>a real bargain, especially since it runs under both the Aztec and MPW shells.
>I must have received one of the first copies shipped, however, since:
>
>THERE WAS NO MAKE PROGRAM ON THE DISTRIBUTION DISKS!

Well, for that price, you don't get the nice tools like make and the vi clone.
The ads are pretty short on what is included.  You should take a look
at a Manx ad, where all of the stuff included is detailed.

I have the commercial system, which includes everything, including library
source code.  The professional system has everyting except the library source.
My guess is that you have the bottom of the line system.

BTW, I've used the sdb source debugger without problems so far.  It seems to
be a good value.
--
Craig Ruff      NCAR                         INTERNET: cruff@ncar.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1211  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: cruff@ncar.CSNET

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (09/22/88)

In article <10134@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>I just acquired Aztec C 3.6c from MacWareHouse for $65.00.  Seems like
>The advertised MPW source-level support is pretty close, too, although
>they do use icky 16-bit ints, and the compiler barfs on MPW C style
>pascal function prototypes.

16-bit ints are not 'icky', and I for one have never had any problem sticking
a (long) in an expression to force it into the 32-bit realm.  I much prefer
the efficiency of the shorter integers, especially since the system will
usually fully support long arithmetic easily.

The same cannot be said for going the other way (short arithmetic on
long-integer systems).

Why oh why didn't Apple beat GreenHills profusely about the head and shoulders
to break their Vax mindset????  Now we're forever stuck with "Do you mean
Pascal integers or C integers?"  (Some compilers even have a switch to change
the integer size.  I would accept this solution.)

ech@poseidon.UUCP (Edward C Horvath) (09/23/88)

From article <732@ncar.ucar.edu>, by cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff):
> Well, for that price, you don't get the nice tools like make and the vi clone.

And you still have the MPW make, which seems to be important to you.
Personally, I use the MPW toolkit with the Aztec compiler; I've pretty much
weaned myself from using grep (to search) and diff (to compare) etc.

=Ned Horvath=