[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How does OPTION-SHUTDOWN work??

michali@savax.UUCP (Paul C. Michali) (09/22/88)

Can someone tell me what is done during the OPTION-SHUTDOWN version normal SHUT-DOWN command from the finder menu?  I have a Dataframe XP30 and the only way I
can park the drive heads is to hold the Option key when shutting the system
down.  I would like to make an Init which would do a head parking operation
when I chose the normal shutdown command.  Any help??  Maybe some SuperMac
and Apple readers can give me some help??

Thanks in Advance,
PCM

emb1354@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (09/23/88)

As far as I know, the option-shutdown sequence is not special to the system.
I, too, own an XP30 and from what I've read/heard/figured out, the option-
part of the shutdown sequence is something the DataFrame drivers look for
specifically.  Of course, if you don't like option-shutdown, you can always
use the shutdown command from the DataFrame Manager.

steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) (09/24/88)

In article <784@savax.UUCP> michali@savax.UUCP (Paul C. Michali) writes:
>I would like to make an Init which would do a head parking operation
>when I chose the normal shutdown command.  Any help??

Sure - you need an CDEV/INIT called SCSI Parker.  Since my drive is an auto-
parking drive, I have since removed this from my system.  Wait, thanks to
DiskTop, I can move it back and look it up (via the Control Panel).  Here's
the information you're looking for:  The version I have is v1.1, and it's by
Bruce Tomlin (Shareware, $5.00).  You can write him at 15801 Chase Hill Blvd.
#109, San Antonio, TX  78256.  I suppose if you want, I can send it to you,
or possibly submit it to comp.binaries.mac for distribution (although I think
it's probably in the SUMEX archives already).  Hope this helps (and saves you
from having to reinvent another wheel...

--
----- Steve Lemke -------------- (What do you mean I only get four lines?)
----- Internet: steve@ivucsb.UUCP; lemke@apple.COM   AppleLink:  LEMKE