[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW garbage collection

d83_sven_a@tekn01.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (09/28/88)

Question: What does MPW 2.0.x do when it put up its bulldoozer-cursor? I
suppose some sort of garbage collection takes place, but why is it so
slooow? I used dumpcode to check out a code segment of about 40K on my
SE. MPW went away bulldoozering twice; first time for five minutes, second
time for nearly eight minutes. Cannot be a good implementation, can it?

Sven Axelsson		d83_sven_a@tekn01.charlmers.se

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (09/30/88)

In article <208@tekn01.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekn01.chalmers.se
	(Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>Question: What does MPW 2.0.x do when it put up its bulldoozer-cursor? I
>suppose some sort of garbage collection takes place, but why is it so
>slooow? I used dumpcode to check out a code segment of about 40K on my
>SE. MPW went away bulldoozering twice; first time for five minutes, second
>time for nearly eight minutes. Cannot be a good implementation, can it?

You didn't say, but if you are running MPW Shell on a 1 Meg machine,
then you are at a disadvantage.  MPW really wants a full Megabyte to
itself, and the System Heap on 1 Meg machines takes a big chunk out of
this.  Also, if you are letting dumpcode put its output into a window,
more memory is needed than if you redirect the output to a file, then
open the file later.

"Dumpcode {parameters} > outputfile" is much faster than "dumpcode
{parameters}" no matter how much memory you have.

I must admit that I haven't seen the 'dozer at all since the people
who own this machine got me 5 Megs.  I hope the memory prices go down
before I have to give it back and use my own.

Earle R. Horton. 23 Fletcher Circle, Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-4109
Sorry, no fancy stuff, since this program limits my .signature to three

erics@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Eric Schlegel) (10/03/88)

In article <208@tekn01.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekn01.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>Question: What does MPW 2.0.x do when it put up its bulldoozer-cursor? I
>suppose some sort of garbage collection takes place, but why is it so
>slooow? I used dumpcode to check out a code segment of about 40K on my
>SE. MPW went away bulldoozering twice; first time for five minutes, second
>time for nearly eight minutes. Cannot be a good implementation, can it?

What is this bulldozer cursor? I've never seen it, and I've been using MPW 2.0
since the beta came out. I've also used dumpcode to dump some fairly large
resources, although perhaps not as large as 40K.

Eric
------
Eric Schlegel                 |  DISCLAIMER: I'm just a poor college student,
eric.schlegel@dartmouth.edu   |  which means I'm not responsible for what I